US Fares Cheap - Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambbbam2

Active Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
857
Points
0
From:
Airline ticket: $10; pillow: $15 - Los Angeles Times

"How low can airfares go?

Try $10 for a one-way ticket from Burbank to Columbus, Ohio. Or $9 from Los Angeles International Airport to Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. Better yet, there is a 1-cent fare for flights from LAX to Guatemala.

Yes, those are actual fares offered by a new generation of carriers that are redefining budget travel by taking "low-cost, no-frills" service to new heights.

Such as $15 for a pillow. Or two bucks for water. Don't want a middle seat? You can pay $10 and you can jump ahead of the line to board a Skybus Airlines plane.

And the flight attendants are paid partly on commission based on in-flight sales.

"It's the extreme example of a la carte flying," said Michael Boyd, an airline industry consultant."
 
AMX001595_Travel-Insider_1100x260

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
17,839
Points
840
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Gold
bambbbam2 said:
From:
Airline ticket: $10; pillow: $15 - Los Angeles Times

"How low can airfares go?

Try $10 for a one-way ticket from Burbank to Columbus, Ohio. Or $9 from Los Angeles International Airport to Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. Better yet, there is a 1-cent fare for flights from LAX to Guatemala.

Yes, those are actual fares offered by a new generation of carriers that are redefining budget travel by taking "low-cost, no-frills" service to new heights.

Such as $15 for a pillow. Or two bucks for water. Don't want a middle seat? You can pay $10 and you can jump ahead of the line to board a Skybus Airlines plane.

And the flight attendants are paid partly on commission based on in-flight sales.

"It's the extreme example of a la carte flying," said Michael Boyd, an airline industry consultant."

Doesn't do it for me I'm afraid :!:
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Points
0
I have a real problem with this - they say they are low cost airlines but they are structured so as to try and take as much cash out of the punter's pockets as possible. - its almost misleadiing - tell someone you are giving them a good deal and then convince them they need to spend more - people really are dim...
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
Welcome to the future of air travel....
 

trooper

Established Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2007
Messages
1,628
Solutions
1
Points
410
Not for me thanks.. I like my assigned seats.. decent baggage allowances, interlining, upgrade possibilities, alliance benefits, comprehensive route structure etc etc...

Just booked a package of flights across/around the US with UA/US... AUD $1000 for the lot... 9 flights in all.. ranging from LAS-LAX to PHL-PHX...

I got no complaints....

For those for whom these flights will work.... go for it!
 

SeaWolf

Established Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
1,191
Solutions
3
Points
425
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
No, the drinks aren't free. Give us a break — some of you paid $10 for your seat.
I think that's a good thing to keep in mind. Even after you've paid for 'frills' like drinks, snacks, exit row seats, extra luggage etc. you generally still end up with more money in your pocket than if you'd flown a full service airline. For me, since I'm usually flying for lesuire and paying for it myself, I'll be keen on anything that leaves more money in my pocket to spend when I get there.
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
18,850
Solutions
4
Points
1,425
SeaWolf said:
I think that's a good thing to keep in mind. Even after you've paid for 'frills' like drinks, snacks, exit row seats, extra luggage etc. you generally still end up with more money in your pocket than if you'd flown a full service airline. For me, since I'm usually flying for lesuire and paying for it myself, I'll be keen on anything that leaves more money in my pocket to spend when I get there.

Not always. Some alleged low cost carries (read jestar international), can cost more after all the bits and pieces are added on
 

clifford

Established Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2004
Messages
1,859
Points
420
simongr said:
I have a real problem with this - they say they are low cost airlines but they are structured so as to try and take as much cash out of the punter's pockets as possible. - its almost misleadiing - tell someone you are giving them a good deal and then convince them they need to spend more - people really are dim...

Well they do vote for Little J...

But seriously, I have no problem with very cheap airfares and expensive (optional) add-ons. You don't have to buy them...
 

littl_flier

Active Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
906
Points
0
SeaWolf said:
I think that's a good thing to keep in mind. Even after you've paid for 'frills' like drinks, snacks, exit row seats, extra luggage etc. you generally still end up with more money in your pocket than if you'd flown a full service airline. For me, since I'm usually flying for lesuire and paying for it myself, I'll be keen on anything that leaves more money in my pocket to spend when I get there.

I'm a bit like SeaWolf in that my international travel is self-funded. Since joing AFF and becoming addicted :oops: , I have become a bit snobby and will probably have to do a DONE4 rather than a LONE4 next year to try out all the gimmicks I've heard about.

I do try and rough it, (as someone of my age should be) and did the JQi thing at Easter and it was ok, but this type of flying indicated in the article is pushing it too far. Fair enough, $10 bucks for BNE-SYD, I could hack it, but if there is anything less than $50 each way difference to Qantas, you know where I'll be. As for Singapore with these no-frills approach, and that snobby littl_flier part of me is starting to come out. Doooooooooooo! :shock: Definitely don't think the above is for me. :oops:
 
Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top