Upgrading to AMEX Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchsaunders

Is it possible to upgrade (product change) from a lower-tier American Express card (say a Platinum Edge or Explorer) to the Platinum card?

I understand the MR programs have different tiers, but more of a curiosity if anyone has tried and succeeded?

Cheers

My guess is the answer is no - as one is a charge card and other are credit cards - also Mr program doesn't really have tiers anymore (or so I recall)

Reactions: DC3
Is it possible to upgrade (product change) from a lower-tier American Express card (say a Platinum Edge or Explorer) to the Platinum card?....

Would not be able to upgrade to a charge card, given your example, is my understanding, as charge cards are a different (”family”) product altogether. Is that what you mean?

A new application would be required, with associated credit check.

Edit: Content

Last edited:
It's not likely possible in this case as you have a different class of cards. Amex is otherwise known to make 'upgrade' offers from other Charge Cards to the Platinum - although they would be getting rarer now as the Platinum is the only Charge card they offer for new applicants.

I agree that it wouldn't be an upgrade as such as the Platinum charge is a different product.

I did have the Gold charge card for a few years back around 2004-2005 and was offered to upgrade to Platinum which I have kept ever since.
Since then I have been offered three times to go to the Centurion but never seen the value in accepting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back