Upgrades on CX from Y - what are the chances?

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by aus_flyer, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. aus_flyer

aus_flyer Established Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Brisbane
    #1 aus_flyer, Jun 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
    I know CX are known to be quite generous with upgrades for WPs. I've also been told that HKG-YVR is CX's most popular route and planes always have heavy loadings.

Question - from your experience, what are the chances of a WP in Y getting upgraded on this route?

2. Va Bene

Va Bene Intern

Oct 16, 2006
    MEL
    I can only speak for HKY to Rome and return with CX (on a QF ticket) and have never obtained an upgrade for any of these (5 or so trips in last 18months). I ask at the Pier lounge in HK everytime and also in Fuimicino on the way back and no luck to date , even though there are J seats available. Maybe it doesn't help that I have a QF ticket instead of a CX purchased one.
    On one occassion my customer sat in J with a spare seat next to him (I was in Y) and all they would let me do is sit with him on landing (gave that a miss). They did serve me some vino from J.
    In HK, the lounge staff said that they only move people into J if Y is full and then it is the Marco Polo Diamond and Gold first before any other Oneworlds get the chance.
    Good luck!