Upgrade to J on 787 (BNE->LAX) or A380 (DFW->SYD)

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by deeception, Feb 20, 2019.

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. deeception

deeception Junior Member

May 17, 2018
    Hey All,

Booked a work trip on Prem Eco Qantas specifically with a 787 and A380 in the segments because I've not flown on either before.

I have enough points to request an upgrade on one of the two but am interested in everyone's opinion on which would be more "worthwhile". This will be my first trip on long haul J (am SC status).

2. JohnB90

JohnB90 Newbie

Jan 9, 2019
    787 J is definitely a better product, however you should request it on both as neither may clear and you could be left in Premium for both flights.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. RooFlyer

RooFlyer Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2012
    Tasmania
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Which route/sectors for each?

...and welcome to AFF @JohnB90

4. justinbrett

justinbrett Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Sydney
    787 is miles ahead, especially if you are travelling by yourself as you can get a solo seat next to the window without a seat mate.

5. cjd600

cjd600 Active Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Sydney
    787 J product better hands down.
    Wouldnt mind a flat(ish) bed on the looong DFW-SYD leg though

6. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    As mentioned upthread - put in the request for both as it is likely neither may clear unless you are platinum status or above. The 787 has very few J class seats, making it even more difficult.

7. deeception

deeception Junior Member

May 17, 2018
    787 on BNE and A380 DFW.

Yeah the question is mostly around whether the superior 787 product is better than getting a lie flat on the looong DFW flight.