Unusual CBA Amex decline | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Unusual CBA Amex decline

lowan74

Intern
Hello,

I wanted to share an experience of an unusual "declined" transaction and see if anyone else had experienced similar issues.

I recently received a CBA Amex Platinum card (to enjoy the fee free overseas transactions with the points, and to avoid any DCC worries that have previously affected my visa and mc transactions), and have had successful transactions so far in AUD, USD and Chinese RMB.

This afternoon I went to check into a hotel (Shangri La hotel, Baotou, China) and when doing the pre-auth the only response their terminal could receive was declined (it was for RMB 2000). I wanted to ensure that it wasn't an Amex acceptance issue (as can be common in China), so I checked in using my Amex issued Amex card and it went through with no issues.

Tonight I called CBA and asked why the transaction was declined, and they stated that it had never hit their account for approval, and had not been declined by them, which I believe.

My question to members of this board is do you know if there is anything fundamentally different between the way a bank issued amex card would be processed compared to and Amex issued card, which would cause this problem when the cards are submitted through authorisation through the same terminal? Keen to get any thoughts and insight here..

Thanks

Matt

N860CR

AFF Supporter
Had this same issue with the Hilton in Helsinki and Helsinki airport. CBA sees the transaction as OK, however the merchant says "declined". CBA claim it means the merchant software is out of date.

My thoughts reflect yours, that it's an issue with the bank issued Amex.

lowan74

Intern
Had this same issue with the Hilton in Helsinki and Helsinki airport. CBA sees the transaction as OK, however the merchant says "declined". CBA claim it means the merchant software is out of date.

My thoughts reflect yours, that it's an issue with the bank issued Amex.
I've done some more trials over the past week (all in Chinese RMB) and found the following with the CBA card..

When the terminal prompts for a PIN, if I enter the pin the card automatically declines (and it never seems to hit my account or the back records even as an attempted transaction). If I just press the enter/green button on the terminal (without entering a PIN) then the transaction goes through correctly.

Very strange, not sure if it is a Chinese banking quirk, but I am now successfully enjoying use of the card in larger businesses in China.

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amitplon