Two Engines As Safe As Four Ruling Soon

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JohnK, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    A helping hand for Boeing?

2. bigjobs

bigjobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    or a help for travellers like me ... ? That's how I think of it. if i can get on a plane that busts hubs like LAX etc and get to my destination with one check-in and boarding then that is going to be great.

3. thadocta

thadocta Active Member

Interesting then that the FAA wants to fine BA for flying a 744 on three engines (when one of the engines failed after take-off), rather than aborting to the nearest airport which was capable of taking it, despite this flight being within the UK CAA rules, and despite the UK CAA and BA having no problem with the continuation of the flight.

Dave

4. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Statisticly, a 4-engine aircraft has almost twice the probability of an engine failure than does a twin-engine aircraft.

5. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The issue is whether a twin jet would have a double outage. Statistically it is quite a small chance, but given CX's experience with the Airbus/RR engines, and Qantas more recent 717 experience the possibilities of a double failure was recognised in both these cases.

So I wonder when a new jet is introduced, how long it will need to be ins ervice to prove itself as a reliable piece of equipment.

6. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Gimli Glider, anyone?

7. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Not sure that the CX Airbus problems or the Qantas Link 717 problems were the result of running out of fuel, they were problems with the engines themselves. And if there is a double outage, two or three hours is a long time to glide for.