Trying to understand frequent Flyer points

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by AllanG, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. AllanG

AllanG Junior Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Hi
    I am holidaying in Europe in December and want to fly from Paris to North America on Jan.1 I went to Qantas site and saw that I can fly from Paris to Dallas via New York for 100,000 points, however it appears that I can fly from Paris to New York for 30,000 points and then from New York to Dallas for 15,000 points? I must be missing something how can I fly the exact same route to the same place for either 100,000 or 45,000 points depending on how I book? Please help

2. littl_flier

littl_flier Active Member

May 1, 2007
    Brisbane
    I've just had a quick look at the handy Points Calculator on QF website and you are correct, you can travel for 30,000 points direct. My question is- where did you see 100k points? If you have to take an indirect routing then the points do increase for the miles flown but this still only makes it to 42,000 points. It wasn't in J or F class was it?

Cheers,
    littl_flier

3. AllanG

AllanG Junior Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Hi
    i just went to the qantas site and tried to book a economy seat Paris to Dallas on Jan 2 which I could for 100,000 points. So i still don't understand why there is such a huge difference.

4. littl_flier

May 1, 2007
    Brisbane
    Ok, gotcha now. Its a Oneworld Award, different so a normal Qantas award that we were talking about. I can't see NY but I can se 100k routing.

The routing I'm getting is a little weird: CDG-LHR-BWI-DFW. Maybe ring the QF desk and fork out the 2,500 fee and see if she can be creative. Alternatively, may book two separate flights if there is availability from CDG-NYC and NYC-DFW.

Sorry I couldn't help further.

5. littl_flier

May 1, 2007
    Brisbane
    Also note that OW awards are based on return travel and even if you travel in one direction, you will pay for return.

My thoughts are to book separately or bring this up with the QFF service centre.

6. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Really a strange balance when you can travel RTW for 140,000 points in Y.

7. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Or for 150K points on AAdvantage you could fly in J ;)

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Junior Member

Feb 21, 2007
    MEL
    For some reason it may depend on the Oneworld airline providing the service.

Last Oct I was investigating options for using FF points to fly from New York (JFK) to Hamburg. I ended up flying BA, which took only 30,000 points. But if I'd flown with AA it would have cost about 50-60,000 points (can't remember exactly how much now).

Not sure why AA was more expensive points-wise but I was happy to stick with BA for the flight.

9. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Sounds right. As there are 2 carriers involved other than QF in the itinerary and it fits into Zone 6 of the OneWorld award table.

If you look at random dates where only AA flights are involved in the routing it then becomes a Qantas/partner award requiring only 36,000 points. Sometimes being a little flexible with dates makes a huge difference.

10. margaret3435@hotmail.com

Oct 7, 2007
    i am trying to get my points balance

11. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Australian Frequent Flyer, AFF, is a discussion forum that is not related to Qantas in any way. If you are trying to determine the balance of your Qantas frequent flyer points then you will need to log on to the Qantas website and provide your membership details and password....