Travelling to India - Currency questions?

Gremlin

Mrs G and I are travelling to India in January for a wedding. I've been to India before, but always for work and always had local currency sorted for me.

The wedding is in a rural area and we've been told that we will need INR if we travel outside the hotel area. We're also then going to do things for ourselves for a few days. We're probably going to get Magan from Heritage India Private Tours (thanks AAFers for the recommendation) to help with the rest of our trip.

I understand that, as a foreign citizen, I can't bring INR into the country, nor take it out at the end. For those with past experience:
  • What do you do about getting INR when you arrive?
  • What do you do with any leftover INR when you leave?

I understand that, as a foreign citizen, I can't bring INR into the country, nor take it out at the end. For those with past experience:

I'm not aware of any restriction in taking INR in or out of the country. Have done both previously. I bought basic funds in Singapore on my way there, then used ATMs on arrival (CITI debit).

Any INR that looks like being left over towards the end results in some generous tips before I leave, or saved for next trip. :)

WhatsApp is the best way to keep in touch with Magan (and I think he likes to be paid in cash :))

EDIT: An Indian wedding!!! That will be an experience!

Your best bet would be to carry some AUD that you can exchange at the airport (small amount to cover immediate expenses).
You should find plenty of money changers out in the city.
But be sure to have some cash before going away to the rural wedding.

Lot of India now accepts digital payments (UPI) but you'd need a local bank account for that.

We brought INR into India last May. Just be careful that its the correct year - several years and denominations were banned to prevent money laundering. We had some of the no no years according to the shop keeper. He refused to even touch them. We had them left over from a previous trip. Travelex sells them.

Attachments

• IMG_9783.png
    IMG_9783.png
    155.2 KB · Views: 1
Lot of India now accepts digital payments (UPI) but you'd need a local bank account for that.
This was supposed to happen earlier this year (2023) to allow G20 nationals, that includes Australians, to use UPI. I have no idea how or the mechanics, but I do recall it was opening up.

I've read conflicting info. The CBIC official website has the following "Guide for Travellers".

Reading Arriving Passengers - Q11 and Outgoing Passengers - Q2 (As an aside, I feel like I'm pretty outgoing most of the time, so this probably applies to me :)), I'm certainly not a Indian Resident, so I read this as I'm not allowed to bring INR in or take it out. It should be noted that I do in fact have a few hundred rupees worth of the 'old' currency in my foreign currency collection.

Having said that, I've also read articles from currency exchanges suggesting that both residents and foreigners can take in up to INR25,000 per person unless you're from Pakistan or Bangladesh. Obviously they're not completely independent in that view.

Also, am I correct in assuming my 'old' rupees are now not worth the paper they are printed on?

I've read conflicting info. The CBIC official website has the following "Guide for Travellers".

Reading Arriving Passengers - Q11 and Outgoing Passengers - Q2 (As an aside, I feel like I'm pretty outgoing most of the time, so this probably applies to me :)), I'm certainly not a Indian Resident, so I read this as I'm not allowed to bring INR in or take it out. It should be noted that I do in fact have a few hundred rupees worth of the 'old' currency in my foreign currency collection.

Having said that, I've also read articles from currency exchanges suggesting that both residents and foreigners can take in up to INR25,000 per person unless you're from Pakistan or Bangladesh. Obviously they're not completely independent in that view.

Also, am I correct in assuming my 'old' rupees are now not worth the paper they are printed on?
Well, we did. Just 3 months ago. And ordered some from Travelex. And the order was fulfilled. The ones that got us into bother were in the shops, not immigration and they were left overs from other trips. It isn't all years and currencies that are banned. I'll see if I can find the list.

Here

That's dated 27-Aug-2020, may be out of date already.

Probably.

As an aside, why are Indian websites so cough? The official govt websites look like 1995 technology, and everything else including them are littered with ads, pop ups and all sorts of nonsense. For a country riding the back of IT development this is pretty..uhmm lacklustre?

That rule has been enforced .I have never been asked or seen it anywhere and I am a frequent traveller to india .
You can withdraw from atms as you need . Also I believe you can return an excess rupees to a forex trader if you have the receipt .

That rule has been enforced .I have never been asked or seen it anywhere and I am a frequent traveller to india .
You can withdraw from atms as you need . Also I believe you can return an excess rupees to a forex trader if you have the receipt .
Do you mean the rule has never been enforced?

Do you mean the rule has never been enforced?
Never heard of it being or anyone being searched etc . There was more highlighting of it during demonetization a few years ago . I think that was to prevent demonetized notes being taken overseas and then returned to allow them to be changed by non residents who were given a time exemption .

Why carry Indian currency in or out anyway ? Just being forex cash and exchange . Excess Indian currency can be converted into forex at goldsmiths .

There was more highlighting of it during demonetization a few years ago . I think that was to prevent demonetized notes being taken overseas and then returned to allow them to be changed by non residents who were given a time exemption .
Although that was exactly when I did a trip to India and bought up as many rupees as I could find in Singapore to take in. That was because the ATMs were absolutely choked and chaotic with people withdrawing new notes.

I had never heard of any INR importation or exporting restrictions until seeing this thread, having visited India multiple times.

Wise works for this option, I did this on a couple of occasions in Indian shops, as well as paying my driver

In addition to being able to use that for payments , can also be used to withdraw money but there might be limits on how much could be withdrawn each time.

When you say visiting a remote place , do you know where that is ? Reason I ask is that pretty much everyone uses digital currency and should not be a problem if you have a debit card/travel card that allows you to withdraw money in case of any emergency.

As others have pointed , carry some AUD and exchange the airport for any exigencies and you could always exchange them into AUD or any other currency at travelex when leaving the country.

All the best !!

Wise works for this option, I did this on a couple of occasions in Indian shops, as well as paying my driver
Wait, you can just use your Wise Card (or have it linked to a Mobile wallet) and it just works in India?

Back