Travelex collapses into administration | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Travelex collapses into administration

Mattg

Flights
My Map
Foreign currency exchange business Travelex is now in administration, with more than 1,300 jobs immediately impacted.

As far as I can tell, most of the Australian outlets still appear to be open. Although, when I tried to get some foreign currency exchanged back to AUD a few months ago, they only accepted a few of the major currencies. I was told that was a temporary thing due to Forex volatility with many currencies.

henrus

Hardly surprising given they were often the most expensive (in terms of the exchange rate getting cash).

It probably doesn't help that more countries/places are now accepting cards with contactless payments becoming standard.

Mattg

Flights
My Map
It probably doesn't help that more countries/places are now accepting cards with contactless payments becoming standard.
Indeed. With rare exceptions, I haven't had to use a physical currency exchange outlet for several years now. Just withdraw at the destination from an ATM using a fee-free card (e.g. Citibank Plus). I can only imagine how much money this has saved me over the years - not to mention the convenience!

I guess that one day - albeit a fair way into the future - outlets like Travelex will become about as redundant as traveller's cheques.

Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Spongbob

Established Member
Plus the convoluted and lengthy process Travelex had in order to get cash.
Then go to an outlet, and wait in line for 15 minutes while someone tries to exchange $20,000USD into AUD.

tomcut2000

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
that is very sad news to hear! that is the company I used to exchange cash before I travelled overseas in the past

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
The brand will still be around in Asia Pacific. The good bits have been spun off....

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nigel Feather