Travel to Bali and exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freq Flier 2013

Hi guys, we are going to Bali in a few weeks.

Is it best to change currency in aust or in Bali?

Also re visa on arrival pay in aud or convert in aust?

I typically use travex to exchange currency via online and pick up at airport. What does everyone else use?

Thanks.

In Bali, on Citibank Debit Plus via ATM. But failing that. just double count your money, and always be last to handle it and use your own calculator if using an FX desk in bali. The will almost always give a better rate than AU desks.

Pay in USD if you have any handy already, otherwise pay in AUD in Bali for VOA.

And typically, if I feel the need to arrive with cash for some reason, I change in SIN.

Otherwise, ATM on arrival.

I've always changed currency at the Kodak shops in Kuta when travelling to Bali, without any issues. Check the rates on XE.com and count your money when handing it over and receiving.

From memory (it's been a couple of years since I've been), the preferred currency for VOA was USD and the change was given in Indonesian Rupiah.

The Bali Travel Forum (google) is a great resource for up-to-date tips.

I always buy USD before leaving Australia to pay the VOA.
They will acccept other currencies but the rates are appalling (even if you pay in IDR).

For spending money I withdraw as much as I need in AUD before I leave and change in Bali.
Rates are much better than in Australia and they don't charge commission or fees.

While the rate for the VOA if you pay in AUD isn't the best, it's still better than the rate and fees you'll incur to change AUD to USD in Australia. Unless you already have some spare USD lying around just pay it in AUD.

As for IDR, don't change too much at DPS unless you need some small change for taxi's, etc as you'll get better rates in town. I usually stick to the Kodak shops or Central Kuta Money Exchange, some of which are now located in Mini Marts and the like. Avoid "Authorised" Money Changers in side alleys and shops and always count your money back (don't mix up Rp10,000 and Rp100,000 notes).

Don't forget before leaving Bali to change any unwanted cash back to AUD. If you leave it until you get back to Australia you'll lose a chunk in fees and commissions.

I got here yesterday thanks to JQ. $50 VOA. Money best exchanged at street exchanges IME

I dont know whether it still happens but have a look at youtube to see how sneaky some of the money exchangers can be, counting several times to put you at ease then dropping a couple of notes on the sly right before handing it to you.

Ill be triple checking when l exchange when i get there.

I dont know whether it still happens but have a look at youtube to see how sneaky some of the money exchangers can be, counting several times to put you at ease then dropping a couple of notes on the sly right before handing it to you.

Ill be triple checking when l exchange when i get there.

Or into the open drawer below their desk where you cant see it.

Take cash and change over there. Even at the airport the rates are significantly better than here.

Pay VOA in USD if you happen to have, but otherwise AUD.

and seriously, the shonky money changers if anything would only be offering a 2c in the $ better rate. Go to Money Exchange brands like BMC, Central Kuda or Kodak like previous post advised.
It's always easier to exchange in multiples of $100 or $50 and remember, always count before you leave.

Oh and if you have any notes with even the most minor damage, spend them elsewhere and get change.
The money changers adopt an absolutely ridiculously pedantic attitude to "damaged notes" and will refuse to change any with even the most minor of tears.
Not like here where if the serial number is still there then it's all good.

Rule Number 2: avoid Travelex at all costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back