Travel on Etihad/Emirates during Ramadan??

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bellaoes, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. bellaoes

bellaoes Newbie

Dec 2, 2006
    Hi all

I am a gold FF and have just accepted a post to the UAE.

Given Qantas dont have a presence there, I will likely be flying Emirates or Etihad going forward. I am starting my assignment on 13th September (which apparently coincides with the start of ramadan). I am not sure whether this question can be answered other than speaking directly with the airlines, but has anyone had any experience with flight service during Ramdan. My company will front up for first class flights, however I am not sure whether there would be any service (in any class) at this time. If not, I would definately consider changing dates (albeit inconvenient) as almost 15 hours without food or drink is quite a long time!

Any assistance that could be offered would be appreciated.

Cheers Kathy

2. milehighclub

milehighclub Active Member

Feb 2, 2007
    I would imagaine that Emirates/Eithad and the like will still provide a full service in all 3 classes and it would be up to the passenger to not eat or drink (or do other things on board that would void the fast)

3. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Yeah Emirates is an International airline (including very international staff.... I think there were about 8 countries represented by the staff on my trip last year with them!). Can't see them restricting anything unless the pax requests it.

Ethiad should be the same. Somehow I have little trust in the airline and can't see myself flying them to find out. The whole drunk in F class debacle a little while ago shyed me away from trying them.

4. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    You should be fine; I have a niece who is an EK based FA.

More than that, any regular DXB-Oz travel credited to Skywards will very quickly get you status. From then on 'operational' upgrades seem to be surprisingly regular ex Oz. :cool:

Just make sure you stock up on Duty free beverages whenever arriving into Dubai.

5. dot

dot Active Member

Mar 2, 2007
    MEL
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    Travel on Emirates during Ramadan - no worries!

My sister was an Emirates FA for 6 years based in Dubai. I double checked with her, and she confirmed that normal service will continue during Ramadan - it is up to the pax to decide if they want to observe a fast or not - the airline does not enforce it.

6. bellaoes

bellaoes Newbie

Dec 2, 2006
    Finally managed to snag a computer in the business centre at QC to respond...thanks all for the input thats tremendous.

7. stryker

stryker Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Have to agree with you Mal. If you fly the "evil empire", ie USA, the worst that can happen to you is that you get a holiday in Cuba.

If you fly Etihad, and they think you are looking at them sideways, you will end up in a torture chamber in the desert.

I know what I'd be doing...

:)

8. GDSman

GDSman Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Hobart
    I'm pretty sure that devout Muslims are relieved of their fasting obligations when travelling during Ramadan. Some choose to maintain the fast but it does mean that carriers offer full service at that time.