Travel Insurance Eligiblity - Qantas Ultimate

jpp42

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
Hello,

I have a Qantas American Express Ultimate Card. The PDS for the travel insurance is here: https://www.americanexpress.com/con...ards/pds_velocity-platinum-insurance-tncs.pdf

I am flying on an OWA with my partner; purchased with Qantas points through my QFF account. The taxes and fees were paid for with a different card (which is a mistake on my part, I had intended to use the Amex but had to use another card on the day). The eligibility requirements include the following:

International Return Trips 4. You are going on an International Return Trip and You pay the full amount of Your outbound ticket for a Scheduled Flight or Scheduled Cruise leaving Australia on Your:
i. American Express Card Account;
ii. corresponding American Express Membership Rewards points / Qantas Points / Velocity Points (where applicable); and/or
iii. Travel Benefit

Does anyone know how they define "corresponding ... Qantas Points." My Qantas point for the trip came from a number of sources, including quite a lot from this Amex but many from other cards and QF travel etc. Would they be checking to be sure that, for example at the time I purchased the OWA, I had earned at least that many points through the card? If that's the case I've failed the eligibility, but I feel the above is vague on detail.

Thanks for any advice. I'm travelling to the USA so really need medical insurance; will probably end up getting separate better travel insurance anyway, but just wondering if anyone had considered the above clause before.

I’m not a lawyer, and my opinion is probably worth a bit less than what you’re paying for it…, but I think that you should get another policy.
First there’s the risk that they’d check and find that you haven’t generated enough points to fund the trip; and
Second, there’s the fact that you paid the fees and taxes on another card.

I think either item could disqualify you.

I‘m only guessing, but if it was only a small claim, then the points issue would probably not be checked. But if it was a big claim (you know, when you really need the policy to respond…) then they would probably be checking everything.

Thanks, this makes sense and I've separately come to the same conclusion and gone ahead and purchased the separate Amex/Chubb travel insurance product.

Definitely a travel "lesson learned" as I put a reasonable of money through that card - 5 to 10k per month, and the only reason I didn't use it for this trip is that it was at the credit limit and I didn't have time to pay it down when I found the seat I wanted. The card I did use was a churner that's now been cancelled, so its insurance is no good now either. This was a $300 mistake as it turns out.

Amex really needs to relax their insurance eligibility (ie as long as taxes are paid) or at least provide clarity on when a card holder is covered.

I suppose it’s a bit better for Platinum card holders because we can bank our points and transfer them when you have enough for whatever flight you want to use them towards. But because Qantas Ultimate transfers monthly, it’d a be a nightmare ensuring you’ve transferred enough points over and haven’t used some elsewhere that would allow them to deny your claim.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back