Transit from LHR to London City airport

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by spiggy_topes, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. spiggy_topes

spiggy_topes Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Sunshine Coast
    I'm arriving in London on a Saturday morning in a couple of weeks on CX251 at 0545. The only onward flight up to Glasgow at a decent time leaves at 0915 from London City airport.

Is three and a half hours long enough for the transit? (Am in F so should be first off the plane, have a UK passport, and will probably get a black cab - all of which should help). I will have a checked bag though.

Thanks in advance!

2. Leumas

Leumas Active Member

Jul 5, 2004
    It should be enough. CX @ T3 is one place where priority tag on your bag actually works.

3. Tooner

Tooner Active Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Given the unholy mess that is baggage at LHR it's probably the weakest link.

The other thing is traffic the closer you get to 7 am. Have you considered Heathrow Express to Paddington, and then a cab?

4. spiggy_topes

spiggy_topes Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Sunshine Coast
    Thank you both.

I'll have a fairly light bag (15kg) so might try and get it on the plane as hand baggage. Are Cathay's premium passengers given a bit of latitude in this area?

Regarding traffic it might be quicker to get the train then a taxi. It's a Saturday morning so the drive from Paddington to the City shouldn't be too bad - but I've not lived in London for a long time, so that may out of date...

5. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    With 3.5 hours, that allows you 3 hours to get there with 30 min checkin; allowing 1 hr to clear immigration , that gives you 2 hours. If you take a cab/car , I would have little concern about the journey

BA has flights from LHR and LGW to GLA which I would be more inclined to take rather than head all the way to LCy

Dave

6. spiggy_topes

spiggy_topes Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Sunshine Coast
    Thanks Dave. I think you're right about the times (and have booked the ticket). Unfortunately none of the usual carriers (BA, BMI) had flights at decent times early on Saturday - LCY was the only option. Also LCY looked like less of a hassle to reach than LGY.

7. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    To be honest, I woulda said that the coach LHR-LGW would have been a much easier (and cheaper) run on a sat morn than the cross london transfer. Even so, I would say that if you are getting a cab ( don't forget to take out a mortgage for the fare of course :) ) that you have allowed enough time

Dave

8. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    If arriving in CX F, then shouldn't he be entitled to a limo transfer on arrival at LHR?

9. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Probably; worth a call to CX Reservations in London to check

Dave