Tomorrow's DJ | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Tomorrow's DJ

I think Virgin Blue...

  • can expand on their own, without new allies

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    40
Status
Not open for further replies.

d15.in.oz

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
452
What strategy do you think will work best for Virgin Blue’s expansion? Joining a global alliance or expanding individual agreements with other airlines. Or do they need to do something totally new, perhaps even go it alone?
Remember Qantas already has existing strategic relationships with both Star Alliance AND Sky Team members! This can obviously impact events both ways…
 

d15.in.oz

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
452
Kiwi Flyer said:
You haven't voted. Care to tell us what you think?
Actually, I'm not sure what I think yet...:oops: Perhaps I would agree that they have to expand. But I'm not sure an airline can do that "on their own" in todays market, without strategic partners. (All this talk about the USA-AUS services just got me thinking along these lines...so I did a poll.)
 

SeaWolf

Established Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
1,039
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
I have a feeling we're not going to see any action on the global alliance front until they launch their international carrier next year. But even then I'm not sure, Virgin Atlantic is not a member of any alliance, neither are any of the other Virgin airlines. There might be a perception that allowing a Virgin carrier to join the alliance would seem to 'devalue' it, being that they're often perceived as being somewhat downmarket.

Although I would love to see them join for the obvious advantage it would give me in being able to cash my Velocity points with other alliance airlines, so I'm voting for them to join *A.
 

dajop

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
9,713
Flights
My Map
Personal preference would be to see DJ join *, but I think from a business perspective they'd be better off continuing the strategy of individual carrier alliances, or Skyteam might make sense to feed to/from the proposed US services ( and mooted Asian services?) as this part of the world seems to be a reasonable Skyteam gap. Whatever the case, I think some form of status accrual system may be worthwhile for DJ - after all I wonder how many QF pax (have their employers) pay more than they need to because they are conciously or subconciously pursuing status and associated benefits.
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,968
Flights
My Map
dajop said:
Personal preference would be to see DJ join *, but I think from a business perspective they'd be better off continuing the strategy of individual carrier alliances, or Skyteam might make sense to feed to/from the proposed US services ( and mooted Asian services?) as this part of the world seems to be a reasonable Skyteam gap. Whatever the case, I think some form of status accrual system may be worthwhile for DJ - after all I wonder how many QF pax (have their employers) pay more than they need to because they are conciously or subconciously pursuing status and associated benefits.
Imagine if both DJ and MH joined Skyteam. That would certainly shake things up in this part of the world!
 

d15.in.oz

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
452
Bump... this is how we were collectively thinking at the end of March - seems to be a clear preference?
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
SeaWolf said:
There might be a perception that allowing a Virgin carrier to join the alliance would seem to 'devalue' it, being that they're often perceived as being somewhat downmarket.
My perception is that it would be the other way around. Joining Star would devalue Virgin Blue's uniqueness.
 

AlphaVictor

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
158
Completely left of centre - but I believe DJ will announce a new low cost subsiduary (sp?) - Virgin Lite to compete in the holiday short haul popular tourist routes with Tiger and Jetstar. At the same time it will position DJ to compete with QF in a ramp up of J Class and their business city pairs.

Ballina - Coffs - Fraser Coast - Gold Coast etc will go to Virgin Lite
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
AlphaVictor said:
Completely left of centre - but I believe DJ will announce a new low cost subsiduary (sp?) - Virgin Lite to compete in the holiday short haul popular tourist routes with Tiger and Jetstar. At the same time it will position DJ to compete with QF in a ramp up of J Class and their business city pairs.

Ballina - Coffs - Fraser Coast - Gold Coast etc will go to Virgin Lite
Not so sure about the J class idea. Check out this post: http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/community/virgin-blue-velocity/are-you-in-know-10345-3.html#post133421
 

d15.in.oz

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
452
Yada Yada said:
Not so sure about the J class idea...
Premium on board seating/space options/services is not only about actually selling them... how many posts on this and other websites are concerned with "what's the chance of an upgrade if...?"

I think, aspirational marketing is an important part of QAN loyalty!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • Indian Pacific & Other Epic Train Journeys – AIR027
    Sat, 11 Jan 2020 02:31:00 AEDT
      In this episode, we take a brief detour from the aviation discussion to talk about train travel! There's something nice - perhaps even romantic - about long-distance train ...
  • Status Runs – AIR026
    Sat, 14 Dec 2019 07:15:21 AEDT
      If you're a little bit short of the next airline status tier, a status run can get you over the line. In this episode, learn about the best status runs with Virgin Austral ...
  • British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...

Community Statistics

Threads
84,460
Messages
1,970,800
Members
51,843
Latest member
Mouse1979
Top