Time to change card?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Johninperth, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Johninperth

Johninperth Junior Member

Apr 29, 2014
    I currently have a Bankwest platinum MasterCard with 1:1 Qantas points and a $149 PA fee. Do you think I should change cards to get a higher points:dollar ratio? I'm worried that the higher fees per transaction would chew into the 1.5:1 rates.
    Thanks

2. diablo

diablo Junior Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Why not switch to a Citibank Signature or Platinum Card? 1:1 QF point earn for a $49 PA Qantas rewards fee. No annual fee if you go with Citibank rewards (1.5 points per dollar). See the offer at Citibank Australia.

3. Bali Belly

Bali Belly Member

May 18, 2008
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Go with Citibank Signature fee free for life and 1 for 1 a very good alternative until something else pops up

4. Johninperth

Apr 29, 2014
    I just received my signature card from the 80k points bonus deal.
    so $348 PA for the fee. Is there a way to receive the free for life? If I cannot access this offer, is there another card offering something similar? I like having the different insurances etc included like my platinum and the signature

5. diablo

diablo Junior Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Since you will be receiving the bonus points and already have the card, it is unlikely that they would waive the annual fee (at least for the first year). I believe others who applied without knowing about the $0 offer had to withdraw their existing applications and reapply through the link that I posted previously. Note that the $0 offer does not include any bonus points, but still gives you a card with all of the insurances, priority pass membership etc. You could try asking Citibank if they will transfer you onto the offer, but more than likely, you will have to cancel your existing card and reapply. I am unaware of any other credit cards offering a similar deal at present.

6. deejo77

deejo77 Active Member

Feb 5, 2012
    brisbane
    I would not be terminating this card - they recently changed the earning rate for new customers I believe down to 1:0.75 QFF I know the fee is higher then the WEDRCC but this card is still good value in my eyes, (and a great overseas transaction card)

7. Johninperth

Apr 29, 2014
    Yes you are correct the rate has dropped to .75 for new customers. I wonder if I can cancel my current citi signature and reapply for the free for life offer.