Tier 2 Business Class options??

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by NickP, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. NickP

NickP Intern

May 24, 2005
    Sydney
    We've had a change of internal policy, and due to the amount of international flights we're taking as a business, we're switching from the Tier 1 products to Tier 2.

Not being completely up on all things about air travel, I've been told, it means that we no longer use BA, Qantas, Singapore, Cathay etc, but now have to use Thai, Malasia, Gulf etc...

Is there an official list of how airlines are rated? What is the business class product like in Tier 2.

I didnt realise it, but I've been lucky for the last few years and have only flown Tier 1 business to London and back.

Cheers all
    Nick

2. Evan

Evan Established Member

Dec 26, 2006
    SIN / MEL
    Does a list really matter ? at the end of the day i would have thought it was all down to price, ie if QF is the cheaper than MH you would still fly them right ? (JAL for example have some cheaper MEL-NRT-LHR tickets in J)

Thai for example could range from very good and nice planes like A330 to really crap on a 30 year old 742 !

Evan

3. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Tier 1 and tier 2 sounds like some internal grouping (probably based on discounts your company can get).

With most companies international travel depends on cost and who flies there. No point in specifying must fly Qantas (for example) if Qantas doesn't fly anywhere near where you need to go.

4. Gazza

Gazza Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hi Nick

depending on where you are flying from (in Australia) all these airlines have nice J product. If you are going from say Sydney or Melbourne you will normally find they have their best long haul product however if traveling from Perth or Brisbane some airlines consider these routes to only be worthy of "regional business class". Incidentally this group includes Qantas if flying to Manilla or Honk Kong (which is why i am traveling to Honkers via Sydney tommorow).

You might want to look at Skytrax Airline and Airport quality ranking and Skytrax global airline Passenger Forums to get a snapshot of what other flyers think of the service.

Cheers
    Gazza