The totally off-topic thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many of my coworkers woke up with a hang over this morning, as the wine was definitely flowing yesterday and then afterwards as there was only 7 of us on the bus home.

Including my boss who has a flight to UK today, Im hoping he drank plenty of water last night.

Took myself off for a full body skin check today. I have a lot of freckles and moles, with a new one that appeared recently so decided it was a good time to get them all checked. Everything looks fine except the new spot which will be monitored and biopsied if it doesnt go away on its own.

My husband went scuba diving this morning and then drove to my office to have brunch with me.

Which means I dont have to cook dinner tonight, he can have a smoothie or fruit :)

How many people drink with a pig? Let’s leave the QPS out of this. (former life)
Strange question, but reflects my strange life. And it makes me rejoice.
No, I am not really drinking “with” the pig. But as I sit in the street alone, having a rum, the pig lays at my feet.

I am in Norosi, Sur de Bolivar, Colombia. A small and decrepit village in a conflict zone. Forget your Pablo Escobar movie stuff. This is real, raw, and nasty. Not romantic. Not at all.
This is a very, very poor town. In an age where the planet is flooded with cheap toys and advertising, the children here have none. They still play with rocks and make-shift toys made from discarded rubbish. But they are happy :)

The biggest advance in the last few years is that the government has paved a couple of the streets here. It is a town of dry dust and rubbish for part of the year, and mud and horrendous smells the rest. There is no real infrastructure. Most is dirt and weeds, with the occasional household that plant a tree or two with flowers. There are no street gutters, really no streets. No sewerage system. The town water supply is pumped straight from a mining-destroyed river. Each house does whatever it can to make do. There is electricity part of the time, but not tonight. I have a generator, which can give me light and energy to sit and write. But I am the only one in this street to have such thing. The rest of the town went to bed early, as there is nothing to do without power.
That genset saves me right now, but it is also something I rarely use. To have power and light and civilization, when your neighbours do not, is something that I cannot stomach. It is a bit like having food when the person next to you is hungry. I prefer to go hungry too….
But tonight it is raining. Hard, very hard. The noise of that rain masks the noise of my genset. So I can use it without giving my neighbours the double kick in the guts of them not only having no light, but having to listen to my engine.

But the genset only gives me enough for some lights and my laptop. No aircon. So I sit outside in the street in the cool of the rain in yet another nauseating hot and humid night. Oblivious to those flying things that devour me. Here you learn not to care…..
We have an overhanging roof out the front over a small concrete slab at the entrance to the house, which is where I sit now. And although the rain bounces off my truck into this area, there is a small patch that still remains dry. And this pig has found this to sleep in, and happily dream his piggy happy dreams.

Pigs do dream. I always suspected so, but this one proves it to me. In the same way dogs do, it moves in its sleep, its little feet do movements like it is running, its mouth moves in what almost appear to be human smiles. It makes little gleeful grunts and snorts. I can tell it is having a happy dream :)

I wonder what a pig dreams of? What dreams make him so happy? Maybe he dreams of a great cassava find he made in his short piggy life? A food bonanza! Or maybe, as a male, he remembers a sexy girl pig that lives around the corner? But I actually feel, through careful observation and sheer reading his piggy body language, that he is in a deeper bliss – he is remembering PLAYING, as all young animals do, with other piglets. He is dreaming of his youth. I get that.

I also get that he will not be slain tonight. His destiny is to be eaten. A reality in this world. But for tonight he is not just at peace, he is happy. And in the shelter of my front porch, he is dry and safe. And when I came out and sat with him, his initial distrust disappeared quickly. In seconds he was back asleep, having decided I was ok. I love that most animals feel that way about me. Most people do not.

He is a healthy pig. In a zone where many animals are at death’s door, this one is fat and content. He is dirty, as I am. Everything you touch here is mud and filth. If I get in my bed or sleep outside on the concrete with him, there is no real difference. I look at his skin, and his coarse hair, and although stained by that mud, he is ok. His ear twitches, dislodging a pesky mosquito, but he is not covered in ticks. He is restless, and gets up and readjusts. I see the large beetle that has fallen on him, attracted by the light. Eventually they come to some sort of accord. The beetle is not biting him, and he drifts back to where he really wants to be – that return to youth.
A light in the street startles me. Have been so busy pondering the pig I forgot where I am. I see someone walking in the rain with a small torch. I do an instant assessment and decide a bad person would not use a torch.

This is a conflict zone. That means that there are rebels. This town is past an invisible line between the Colombia governed by the State, and the Colombia that remains without law. So by night in this town, the police huddle in their fort. And the streets belong to others. I know that due to the rain the government helicopters cannot operate, so in nights of rain the rebels descend into the town from their mountain strongholds.

Maybe they will come tonight. But I feel they will not. A feeling based possibly on no real idea and a relaxing rum. But I sit here in the street, calm. Which is rare for me.
Maybe that peace the pig feels from me is returned. I just know it is ok tonight to be visible.
And this calm, this feeling of security, allows me to digress from work, the incessant pressures, and for a few small hours ponder other things.

And that is what makes me rejoice. I am in the middle of nowhere, work is Hell, but I have taken the moment to “stop and smell the roses”, albeit in a different way.
And in the clarity (?) that exhaustion and sweat and rain and rum induces, I am flapping happy.
I am truly flapping happy. :)

Took myself off for a full body skin check today. I have a lot of freckles and moles, with a new one that appeared recently so decided it was a good time to get them all checked. Everything looks fine except the new spot which will be monitored and biopsied if it doesnt go away on its own.

Good to hear!

I am in the same boat and after having a few removed over the years and treatment for BCC, I had my entire body photographed so my derm can do easy cross checks when I see her 6 monthly.

@juddles - I think there is a book in you somewhere.

That was a fantastic piece of writing - it took me right there and I could even hear the rain on the roof and see the pig lying there.

Your life there sounds intriguing - and very removed from the everyday.

Good to hear!

I am in the same boat and after having a few removed over the years and treatment for BCC, I had my entire body photographed so my derm can do easy cross checks when I see her 6 monthly.

She took all the photos so it can be compared next time. Hoping the spot on my shoulder is nothing but it appeared suddenly and keeps scabbing.

I love that most animals feel that way about me. Most people do not.
Juddles I relate to this.working around my veggie garden today.The doves come to our Brazilian cherries knowing I will keep the mynas away.The blue tongue comes out to bask in the sun probably knowing I will accidently drop a worm nearby.
Just a warm feeling knowing you are accepted by these creatures when they are scared of most others.

@juddles .....
Your life there sounds intriguing - and very removed from the everyday.....

It is midnight Colombian time.

Due to my recent trip to Australia I am still in that world of jetlag and poor sleep. In 6 hours I “head bush” again.

Going back out to Norosi.

This is where it gets magical my combination of frequent flying and day realities. I have “excellent” status with Qantas. Great baggage limit. So as I have done before, I have brought a large second-hand suitcase, purchased from Vinnies. Full of second-hand toys that my wife and kids have gathered. Barbie dolls and Matchbox cars. Washed and refreshed with love.

Even though Norosi is poor, there is another village there high in the mountains that is poorer. I love its name – “Micoahumado” which translates to “smoked monkey”. Not even the locals know where that name came from….

Micoahumado is very special for me. It is a town controlled by rebels, no government presence. And poor beyond belief. But the people are great. I am probably one of the few foreigners that has ever set foot there. And surely the only one welcome.

It is a town controlled by the ELN – a “leftwing” rebel group. They allow me to exist as some of their central philosophies mirror mine – protect the environment, look after the betterment of rural people, etc etc.

It is in some ways a tiny thing for me, but also huge. I know that in two days there will be kids proudly playing with their “new” toy car.

This is the sort of thing that keeps me going.

In Platinum 1, Qantas insist with their new newsletter on doing interviews with people who just want to talk about the five star hotels and 3 Michelin star restaurants they visit.

I will never figure in their stuff. And I get that reality. It is not marketable.

My life is complicated, hard. I do not fit into any normal box. But even in the Colombian outback there is often wifi, signal. And to keep sane (?) I log into AFF. So many amazing people here….

Thank you.

How many people drink with a pig? Let’s leave the QPS out of this. (former life)
No, I am not really drinking “with” the pig. But as I sit in the street alone, having a rum, the pig lays at my feet.

I am in Norosi, Sur de Bolivar, Colombia. A small and decrepit village in a conflict zone. Forget your Pablo Escobar movie stuff. This is real, raw, and nasty. Not romantic. Not at all.
This is a very, very poor town. In an age where the planet is flooded with cheap toys and advertising, the children here have none. They still play with rocks and make-shift toys made from discarded rubbish. But they are happy :)

The biggest advance in the last few years is that the government has paved a couple of the streets here. It is a town of dry dust and rubbish for part of the year, and mud and horrendous smells the rest. There is no real infrastructure. Most is dirt and weeds, with the occasional household that plant a tree or two with flowers. There are no street gutters, really no streets. No sewerage system. The town water supply is pumped straight from a mining-destroyed river. Each house does whatever it can to make do. There is electricity part of the time, but not tonight. I have a generator, which can give me light and energy to sit and write. But I am the only one in this street to have such thing. The rest of the town went to bed early, as there is nothing to do without power.
That genset saves me right now, but it is also something I rarely use. To have power and light and civilization, when your neighbours do not, is something that I cannot stomach. It is a bit like having food when the person next to you is hungry. I prefer to go hungry too….
But tonight it is raining. Hard, very hard. The noise of that rain masks the noise of my genset. So I can use it without giving my neighbours the double kick in the guts of them not only having no light, but having to listen to my engine.

But the genset only gives me enough for some lights and my laptop. No aircon. So I sit outside in the street in the cool of the rain in yet another nauseating hot and humid night. Oblivious to those flying things that devour me. Here you learn not to care…..
We have an overhanging roof out the front over a small concrete slab at the entrance to the house, which is where I sit now. And although the rain bounces off my truck into this area, there is a small patch that still remains dry. And this pig has found this to sleep in, and happily dream his piggy happy dreams.

Pigs do dream. I always suspected so, but this one proves it to me. In the same way dogs do, it moves in its sleep, its little feet do movements like it is running, its mouth moves in what almost appear to be human smiles. It makes little gleeful grunts and snorts. I can tell it is having a happy dream :)

I wonder what a pig dreams of? What dreams make him so happy? Maybe he dreams of a great cassava find he made in his short piggy life? A food bonanza! Or maybe, as a male, he remembers a sexy girl pig that lives around the corner? But I actually feel, through careful observation and sheer reading his piggy body language, that he is in a deeper bliss – he is remembering PLAYING, as all young animals do, with other piglets. He is dreaming of his youth. I get that.

I also get that he will not be slain tonight. His destiny is to be eaten. A reality in this world. But for tonight he is not just at peace, he is happy. And in the shelter of my front porch, he is dry and safe. And when I came out and sat with him, his initial distrust disappeared quickly. In seconds he was back asleep, having decided I was ok. I love that most animals feel that way about me. Most people do not.

He is a healthy pig. In a zone where many animals are at death’s door, this one is fat and content. He is dirty, as I am. Everything you touch here is mud and filth. If I get in my bed or sleep outside on the concrete with him, there is no real difference. I look at his skin, and his coarse hair, and although stained by that mud, he is ok. His ear twitches, dislodging a pesky mosquito, but he is not covered in ticks. He is restless, and gets up and readjusts. I see the large beetle that has fallen on him, attracted by the light. Eventually they come to some sort of accord. The beetle is not biting him, and he drifts back to where he really wants to be – that return to youth.
A light in the street startles me. Have been so busy pondering the pig I forgot where I am. I see someone walking in the rain with a small torch. I do an instant assessment and decide a bad person would not use a torch.

This is a conflict zone. That means that there are rebels. This town is past an invisible line between the Colombia governed by the State, and the Colombia that remains without law. So by night in this town, the police huddle in their fort. And the streets belong to others. I know that due to the rain the government helicopters cannot operate, so in nights of rain the rebels descend into the town from their mountain strongholds.

Maybe they will come tonight. But I feel they will not. A feeling based possibly on no real idea and a relaxing rum. But I sit here in the street, calm. Which is rare for me.
Maybe that peace the pig feels from me is returned. I just know it is ok tonight to be visible.
And this calm, this feeling of security, allows me to digress from work, the incessant pressures, and for a few small hours ponder other things.

And that is what makes me rejoice. I am in the middle of nowhere, work is Hell, but I have taken the moment to “stop and smell the roses”, albeit in a different way.
And in the clarity (?) that exhaustion and sweat and rain and rum induces, I am flapping happy.
&juddles - A wake up call that that others have lives I cannot even imagine. Keep safe.

I’ve just been watching Narcos. Are you OK?

It is midnight Colombian time. Due to my recent trip to Australia I am still in that world of jetlag and poor sleep.................................... And to keep sane (?) I log into AFF. So many amazing people here….
Thank you.

Juddles " So many amazing people here " And YOU are one of them !! xx

Sponsored Post

Struggling to use your Frequent Flyer Points?

Frequent Flyer Concierge takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights.

Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, the Frequent Flyer Concierge team at Frequent Flyer Concierge will help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

Had an interesting day today. Went to the golf course this afternoon with and daughter. Hit some golf balls with wife filming and daughter cheering on.

I have a surprisingly good golf swing. People have told me before but this is the first time I have seen myself hit a golf ball. Now to start analysing the swing.

The company I work for, which is a great employer, gives us free product all the time. New stuff to try as it hits the market, old stuff deleted due to packaging change or updated ingredients etc.

I finally picked up all the bits I have around the house and put in the garage. I have enough to stock an Coles aisle!

Just texted the youngins in the family to come get stuff as I know they will use it but it's usually too expensive for their apprentice/just starting out salary.

Good grief!

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back