The Problem With Reclining Airplane Seat Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 29185

The third picture from the left is actually not a cartoon sketch, it's an actual photograph of an ATR seat.

Dr Ralph

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
I've never understood why seats are designed to recline on flights shorter than 2 hours.

Denali

Solutions
I've never understood why seats are designed to recline on flights shorter than 2 hours.

My last flight was 3.5hrs and I was somewhat afraid to recline and that was in J.

Its getting to the point that Im kind of afraid to recline in case it peeves off the person behind me.

opusman

Solutions

Because the planes that fly those flights are also capable of flights longer than 2 hours?

blackcat20

Enthusiast
And people connecting from long haul overnight flights might need to sleep...

Duffa

Established Member
Ryanair seats do not recline and have better legroom than most LCCs in Europe. 2.5 hours is fine

D

Deleted member 29185

Ryanair seats do not recline and have better legroom than most LCCs in Europe. 2.5 hours is fine

The VA ATRs don't recline either......which just accentuates the truly horrid experience!

Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

marki

Established Member
My last flight was 3.5hrs and I was somewhat afraid to recline and that was in J.

Its getting to the point that Im kind of afraid to recline in case it peeves off the person behind me.

You don't want to inadvertently start an air rage incident

boomy

I thought people only have issues with reclining in Y.
Purchasing J ticket and then not being able to get comfortable is ridiculous. Isn't the whole point of spending hundreds of dollars more for short haul J is to get some extra comfort?

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
Solutions
I thought people only have issues with reclining in Y.
Purchasing J ticket and then not being able to get comfortable is ridiculous. Isn't the whole point of spending hundreds of dollars more for short haul J is to get some extra comfort?

unfortunately it is an issue in business class as well. Was flying MEL-SYD when the BOS (businessman of size) behind me complained I was reclining. His beer gut was such that he had to have his in-arm tray table at the extreme limit away from him. My recline was apparently interfering.

marki

Established Member
How unjust first world problems can be and extreme

boomy

unfortunately it is an issue in business class as well. Was flying MEL-SYD when the BOS (businessman of size) behind me complained I was reclining. His beer gut was such that he had to have his in-arm tray table at the extreme limit away from him. My recline was apparently interfering.

It's the BOS fault, he should have selected row 1 or else keep quiet. Seriously, the F&B on those short flights is nothing spectacular so if you can't even get comfortable in your seat then row 4 or exit row are just as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.