Wiki The Explorer Credit Card (New AMEX Card!)

Discussion in 'Current Credit Card Promotions' started by kallinch, Aug 24, 2016.

The Explorer Credit Card AMEX

This community-maintained AFF Wiki Page contains the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki Page once you have been an AFF member for 30 days and have made at least 10 posts. For more information on how to edit the Wiki, please see this thread.

Relevant considerations

Existing Amex cards

• bonus points generally still seem to be applied, even where you have an existing card;
  • applications should be done at your own risk though since the T&C specify that the bonus shouldn't apply; and
  • downside risk is actually minimal though (apart from a credit enquiry marker) as the financial cost can be recouped if no travel credit or points are transferred.

De-linking cards

• members with existing cards may have their explorer linked to an existing reward scheme (ascent premium), in which case the bonus points won't be credited;
  • call up to de-link the cards (split out to ascent and gateway) and once you hit the $1,500 spend the bonus points should be credited; and
  • spend of $1,500 must occur on the gateway program for the points to apply.

Linking cards

• members have had luck linking the two reward programs together (suggestions indicate to call during late at night/weekends to hit international call centres US/Phillipines, etc and it's a mixed bag in terms of whether you call the MR line or the back of the card number);
  • I personally called the Platinum charge line, as the wait times are shorter and the staff seem more knowledgeable (but that might be exactly the issue, given it might be a glitch); and
  • Risk to linking the cards is members are reporting missing points (some have been due to timing delays).
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
(Click HERE for a welcome message from our founder.)

Our site contains tons of information that is guaranteed to improve your travel experience. Be it tips on how to fly in First/Business at a reduced cost, smart ways to earn more points, the best way to use your points, cheap deals, hand-picked hotel recommendations, detailed trip reports.

We hope you find the information useful and decide to join our online community.

Joining AFF is fast, simple and ABSOLUTELY FREE - so why not join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear freeing up more space on your screen!
And you will see fewer advertisements :)

1. kallinch

kallinch Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Melbourne
  2. junbugging

junbugging Member

Mar 25, 2016
    #2 junbugging, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    They have such a wide range of options they must get good data on what customers prioritize and how rational they really are when comparing options.

It's a pretty clear statement that a $400 travel credit isn't worth $400, anyway. Some ammunition for my next card renewal "negotiations".

3. Pleb Status

Pleb Status Established Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Perth
    Effectively 1.5pts/$ spent (as in Gateway and not Ascent) and excluding government purchases which would be at 0.375pts/$ spent.

I would still go with the Edge (if you neglect the sign on bonus) at half the fee and the free VA flight.

4. lovetravellingoz

lovetravellingoz Senior Member

Jul 13, 2006
    MEL
    Note:

4 Gateway Membership Rewardspoints = 3 Airline RewardPartner points

So the 100K sign on gains 75K Krisflyer points.

5. albyd

albyd Established Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Sydney
    Interesting offering given general spend is effectively 1.33 'normal' MR at the gateway conversion rate.
    Might be getting a little cynical but since when do Amex credit cards look like charge cards?
    Essential looks 'like' the Platinum charge card;
    Explorer looks like a 'darker' (Centurion ...Cough)charge card.
    Is this intentional?
    There's always been a clear design distinction between credit (large centurion) and charge (small centurion in the middle).

6. TomVexille

TomVexille Senior Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Melbourne
    I'm guessing that they want it to look like a "premium" card if they're charging $395/year

7. mmchow

mmchow Active Member

May 16, 2015
    VIC
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    No doubt it is a sleek looking card.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tizey

tizey Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Given its a different rewards program to the velocity amex and the platinum charge, do you reckon a new sign up would be eligible for the 100k bonus points sign up?

Also - any consideration as to referral program? Thinking this is our next step for me + SO.

9. Plutonus

Plutonus Active Member

Jan 22, 2012
    SYD
    The style seems to be in keeping with the other Gateway Rewards card, the Essentials Credit Card.

I thought it was 4 gateway points = 3 airline points, so effectively 1.5 per $? Maybe I'm reading it wrong. The terms and conditions also say you can transfer points between rewards programs for a fee of $5 per 1,000.

10. decs

decs Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Sydney
    What are people's thoughts on whether applying for this card while holding another Membership Rewards account/card (e.g. Edge or Charge) would convert the Gateway MR points to Ascent or Ascent Premium MR points?

I'm thinking similar to how people had their Ascent balances converted to Ascent Premium when they got the Platinum Charge...

11. bismarck

bismarck Established Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Seems pretty good. I've been shopping less and less at supermarkets, and hardly ever buy petrol so the 1.5 (true) pts/$ seems more attractive to me.

In fact, most of my spend is at restaurants but can't justify $1,200 for the Platinum Charge.

12. Plutonus

Plutonus Active Member

Jan 22, 2012
    SYD
    I'd say it's unlikely as Gateway converts at a different rate, whereas the two Ascent are of the same 'flavour'.

I'm considering this card to replace my Velocity Platinum (which I only got for the sign up bonus anyway).

13. decs

decs Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Sydney
    I completely agree. Having a very hard time justifying renewing my Charge and this seems the best miles-earner for general spend since Citi and Westpac have both devalued.

As someone who highly values CX AM and SQ KF currencies, this one is still a winner at *only* 1.5ppd.

14. Cruiser Elite

Cruiser Elite Senior Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Melburn
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I might take it up for the 75K KF pts for $395 after I cancel Velocity Platinum - OK value IMHO.

15. decs

decs Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Sydney
    I see merit to this. At first I was disappointed, however thinking about it this could be a win-win. If we are wrong, and they do merge the MR Gateway points with MR Ascent points, they are worth 33% more. OTOH, if we are correct, then signing up via a referral might still trigger the 100k bonus MR Gateway points!

Now to decide whether to wait for a referral link and go for the bonus, or request a product change to try protect from more hard pulls to my credit file and avoid another cc fee...

16. potm

potm Member

Aug 29, 2010
    I wonder if there's a referral offer that gives even more points? Seems like it's on the same line of cards as the free essentials card. Anyone have one and can check if they can make a referral for this explorer card.

Even 75k krisflyer points and $400 travel credit is pretty good for $395. I already have a Charge, Reserve and Edge though so I don't think I can get another card.

17. boomy

boomy Senior Member

May 10, 2013
    MEL and BNE
    Damn I have to cancel one of my existing cards to proceed with the application. Which one should I let go, the Velocity or the Qantas card? Hmmm

18. get me outta here

get me outta here Senior Member

Nov 18, 2011
    CBR Country :)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    If you plan to keep the points and benefits and then churn this one, it may not matter which you cancel as you could go back to the one you just cancelled and try for another sign on bonus when you apply for that recently cancelled card as you will have cancelled this one.

19. kamchatsky

kamchatsky Established Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Somewhere in Sydney
    Based on what I have seen, this is a pretty good card, and is what people have been asking for: earning 1.5 points per dollar spent for most things. Sure there is the $395 annual fee but it is compensated by the $400 travel credit. Whilst some people may not use it, AFFers will definitely use it to the max.

20. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Established Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Interesting and subscribed.