Testing out cash withdrawal in Singapore

tdimdad

Established Member
While in SIN, I had a need for some cash. To test the cards I had on me, I decided to split it into 3 * SGD $100 withdrawals, using Wise (MC debit), UBank (Visa debit) and Bankwest (MC platinum debit). The purpose was to see how close they are to the "mid-market rate" using XE.com as the reference point.

In the test, I used an ATM operated by OCBC doing the withdrawals one after another to get the FX rate to stay as close to each other as possible. The ATM offered three options for an account: 'Current account', 'Savings account' and 'Credit account (cash advance)'. I selected the 'Current account'.

The XE.com rate at that time (22/12, 9:00 UTC) was 0.899345 which would convert SGD $100 to AUD $111.19.

Wise: Successful. My AUD account was charged for $111.81 ($111.21 + fee $0.60).
UBank: Successful. The account was charged for $111.82.
Both come to about 0.56% over the rate provided by XE.

Bankwest: Failed multiple attempts. The error message was "This transaction cannot be processed temporarily owing to technical problems". Tried a POSB ATM (operated by DBS) with the same result, then another OCBC ATM nearby. Send a chat message to the bank on the BW app and got told to use the 'Credit account'. When I mentioned that the other two cards use the 'Current account', the BW agent replied that the BW contract with MasterCard necessitates the use of 'Credit'.

The use of 'Credit' resulted in different outputs:
OCBC: minimum withdrawal $200 (not doing because it was more than needed).
POSB: Error message "Amount exceeds your available balance" (even when the balance was more than sufficient for the withdrawal).
Citibank: We'll charge you $8 for the pleasure to serve you (yeah nah...).

The cash side was sorted but as a side-effect this attempt demonstrated the value of having a back-up card / method on you in case your primary one fails, even in a highly advanced and well-functioning location. If I had travelled with the BW card only and relied on it, I would have missed out on the cash.

I did something similar earlier this year but using the debit function (and one CC) to top up my Oyster card.
Post in thread 'Best card with no forex fees'
Best card with no forex fees

There really wasn’t much in it across the cards - except WBC (which I was checking whether it slugged 3% or not - which it did).

BTW, UOB is good for fee free ATM cash withdrawals in SIN.

Selecting credit as the account type is the norm for debit cards which use Mastercard or Visa. I've never had an issue and never had a minimum withdrawal amount enforced, so suspect that has more to do with the particular ATM you selected.

Last trip to Singapore I used Citibank debit card in Citibank ATM, no fees and exchange rate within a few cents of the official rate.

Selecting credit as the account type is the norm for debit cards which use Mastercard or Visa.
I actually use “Savings” account or equivalent for Citi, ING and UBank. 99% of the time works fine.

I can’t find the ING “How To” but UBank specifically says “Saving” or “Cheque”.
I've never had an issue and never had a minimum withdrawal amount enforced, so suspect that has more to do with the particular ATM you selected.
Yeah, I don’t recall ever seeing a min withdrawal anywhere.

I think Saving/Cheque is only relevant when inside Australia and using the EFTPOS function of the card.
Nope. The link specifically mention OS ATMs. Which is what I do with all my Debit cards OS. Even back to the heady days of AMEX “Express Cash” back in the very early ‘90s.

I've had similar issues with withdrawing cash from certain ATMs in Singapore using my Bankwest debit card. You have to select credit, and then the ATM tells you there's a minimum amount.

This is one of the things that prompted me to open a UBank account as a backup. In general I haven't needed to use it a lot, but it's good to have just in case.

Back