Taking prescription drugs into the US | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Taking prescription drugs into the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackcat

Does anyone know what sorts of hoops we have to jump through when taking small personal amounts of prescription drugs thru US customs?

The relevant US website talks about having to declare such items.

We'll be taking in some fairly innocuous stuff (blood pressure tablets, sleeping tablets so I can grab some zz's on the flight, epi-pens), all of which have the chemist's "prescription" sticker on them which show our respective names.

We're happy to declare these to the US customs authorities upon entry, but do they want extras (e.g. letters from doctors) in support of these things?

garyjohn951

My last trip to US, I went to my Doc, who keyed up a form on his PC, transfered all by tablet types onto it, signed it.
Had it me in the drugs bag I have.
At JFK, bag was opened, they opened the form, put it back and the only comment was one security person to another, "has a doctors form".
I think the xray screener wanted it looked at.

maninblack

Established Member
There is no need to declare small personal quantities of medications but do carry a doctors letter. This is not just for customs. I was in overseas with a business associate who lost the prescription painkillers he carries for a severe back problem. Having the letter from his doctor meant the local doctor he visited to get a replacement script was far more relaxed about giving it to him.

garyjohn951

And have a photocopy of it with your backup photocopy of your passport that should be kept totally seperate on your trip.

NYCguy

Established Member
garyjohn951 said:
And have a photocopy of it with your backup photocopy of your passport that should be kept totally seperate on your trip.
Scans of all my important documents are in a folder at my Hotmail address, and therefore available from just about anywhere in the world. Well, anywhere I go, in any case.

JohnK

AFF Supporter
I have prescription drugs in my checked luggage, the packaging has a chemist sticker in my name, but have never asked for a letter from the doctor.

I normally also carry a small quantity in my shirt pocket. I have never been questioned in Australia or SE Asia.

From reading this thread it sounds like it may a good idea to get a letter from my doctor as I will be travelling through the USA and Europe.

drron

AFF Supporter
My medication is in my carry on.Have never been pulled up about it including several trips through the USA.The point about a doctors letter is very important,not just for your medications but in case you need medical attention on your travels.Also include any allergies that you may have.When you need attention you are not always in a position to tell the treating doctor those important facts.

yo yo ma

Yes, you should have a doctors letter, not just for coming into another country but for leaving Australia. You should also fill out a medicine export declaration form found below
http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/resources/pbs/ma_medicine_export_declaration_011005.pdf

There is also other information found on the medicare website. This includes keeping the medications sealed in the original packaging & only taking enough medication for personal use.
Medicare Australia - :: Information for doctors::
Medicare Australia - :: Travelling Overseas::
Hope this assists
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Letiha