Systemwide upgrades - AA metal only?

Discussion in 'American Airlines AAdvantage' started by simongr, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Hi all
    I know its too late for a MR to SIN to make EXP but I am thinking about next year already and the benefits of EXP - mainly the SWUs. Just a couple of points to clarify.

Can these only be used on AA metal? The handbook says that they can be used on any AA flight to any AA destination. Does that include codeshares?

Can I use these on behalf of someone else? My parents fly from PFO/LCA to SYD each year to visit and I was thinking of saving them a few $ if they could be upped to J using my SWUs. They would have to route via LHR though - but in J that wouldnt be too bad. I guess it would be 4 SWUs for the round trip (2 people) - if they could find a codeshare - they could survive whY to LHR or DUB if that worked in the codeshare option.

Cheers

S

P.s. Also about to call AA to beg for EXP based on 90K qpoints in 3 months - dont expect anything but its worth a shot....

2. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    AA metal only.

Even *A which has alliance upgrades still cannot be used on codeshare flights.

3. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    I know some who've been in the same situation and denied. I guess it is too late for you to do a 10k run?

4. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    To late and it was too costly. I am thinking of offering not to have the SWUs this year if they comp EXP - I cant use them (much) and the lounge access is more useful to me.

5. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    I don't hold out much hope, but there is no harm in asking

Dave

6. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Thinking about regular posts on this in the AAdvantage FT forum; your chances would be extremely slim.

A more achievable option would be a Quick MR in J SYD-SIN-SYD from USD4165 (AUD5340), but from your other posts here it seems that's rather unlikely.:p ;)

7. adrian

adrian Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Here's a quick mileage run that should just do it - and for less than $2000 (I should know, I just did it, and for the same reason...)

29/12 - aa7359 - SYD-HNL
    31/12 - aa7358 - HNL-SYD
    Arrives in SYD on 1/1 at 5.50pm, so you would need to check what year the points would be applied to.

EQPs- 5067 x 2 (it books into V, which I think is 1 for 1 on AA, but check)
    Points - 5067 x 4 (for Platinum)
    Cost - USD$1514.50
    Seats are currently available.

Or, alternatively, try SYD-LAX-SYD for a bit more money, but more flight choice.

Good luck......

8. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Arrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got an email overnight from my boss's boss asking me to do some work for our tokyo office - and if I need to go there I can - and it has to be done before 10 Jan!!!!

Arrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

9. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Ah well, its a nice 14,500 qpoint start to the year ; just keep collecting all points to one place and hopefully you'll be EXP soon

Dave

10. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Yeah - and given the short notice I might have to fly in F ;) I have a feeling that I might qualify for EXP a little earlier than expected - I reckon I will be having a few more fligths to Asia than planned :)