Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Sydney to Cologne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foreigner

Established Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2006
Messages
4,630
Points
705
Seeking suggestions for syd-cgn itinerary in economy on OW. Would prefer via Asia but would consider other options. Trip in early October for 7 days. I have QF gold status and consider SCs more important than FF points. And would prefer QF, AY, CX before BA and other OW airlines. With QF, would like to avoid N,O,Q for upgrade opportunity. I dont mind extra travel for more SCs. I also wouldnt mind doing syd-dus and making my own way by train to cgn.
Hope your experiences and expertise will assist me in planning my trip.
f
 
Now with contactless delivery, shop online to get drinks delivered to your door or pick up in-store in 30 minutes. Lowest Liquor Price Guarantee. Biggest Range.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

littl_flier

Active Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
906
Points
0
Hi Foriegner,

An option would be to fly into DUS, Duseldorf with BA from LHR. This would be a two stop journey from Syd via Asia and LHR. I can't find any direct flights out of either of QF's main ports- FRA and LHR to CGN direct so DUS could be an option. Germany has a great train network so you could look at catching the train from DUS or even FRA as a direct (via Asia) flight.

Cheers,
littl_flier
 

Brettmcg

Active Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2006
Messages
960
Points
375
littl_flier said:
Hi Foriegner,
I can't find any direct flights out of either of QF's main ports- FRA and LHR to CGN direct so DUS could be an option. Germany has a great train network so you could look at catching the train from DUS or even FRA as a direct (via Asia) flight.

In fact, Qantas now have a codesharing agreement with Deutsche Bahn which allows QF passengers to streamline their travel arrangements from plane to train. FRA - CGN will take anywhere between 1 - 2 hrs depending on your connection.

You may wish to contact QF to find out more details surround the codeshare.
 

Foreigner

Established Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2006
Messages
4,630
Points
705
Brettmcg said:
In fact, Qantas now have a codesharing agreement with Deutsche Bahn which allows QF passengers to streamline their travel arrangements from plane to train. FRA - CGN will take anywhere between 1 - 2 hrs depending on your connection.

You may wish to contact QF to find out more details surround the codeshare.

You are correct. The search on QF website shows a QF flight # for the sector to CGN. When I clicked on it, the reference was to a train service.

Train seems the way to go. fast reliable and not too costly, i presume.

On flights, i was considering QF to Asia with AY to HEL and flight to DUS, followed by train ride to CGN.
 

Foreigner

Established Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2006
Messages
4,630
Points
705
simongr said:
Why wouldnt you just go QF SYD-SIN-FRA?

Good question, simongr. Primarily to get more SCs and also to see what AY is like, not having travelled with them. As mentioned, I dont mind doing extra flights.
Cheers
f
 

gaz1

Intern
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
59
Points
5
Foreigner said:
You are correct. The search on QF website shows a QF flight # for the sector to CGN. When I clicked on it, the reference was to a train service.

Train seems the way to go. fast reliable and not too costly, i presume.

On flights, i was considering QF to Asia with AY to HEL and flight to DUS, followed by train ride to CGN.

A codeshare train trip - amazing! Do they do this for other sectors?

How did you get to see this on the QF website? I have had a look but it indicates no sectors between FRA & CGN.

Thanks,

Gary.
 

Foreigner

Established Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2006
Messages
4,630
Points
705
gaz1 said:
A codeshare train trip - amazing! Do they do this for other sectors?

How did you get to see this on the QF website? I have had a look but it indicates no sectors between FRA & CGN.

Thanks,

Gary.

Go through the search and booking process by selecting departure point (SYD in my case) and destination (CGN), select dates, and you see 2 sectors i.e. SYD-FRA (QF5) and FRA-CGN (QF3941). Click on QF3941 and it shows among other things "Aircraft Type: Train".
 

gaz1

Intern
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
59
Points
5
Foreigner said:
Go through the search and booking process by selecting departure point (SYD in my case) and destination (CGN), select dates, and you see 2 sectors i.e. SYD-FRA (QF5) and FRA-CGN (QF3941). Click on QF3941 and it shows among other things "Aircraft Type: Train".

Great, thanks (I'm not sure why it didn't come up for me - although I was looking on a different screen).

Can you book this type of trip using QFF points?

Gary.
 

Keith009

Established Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
4,598
Points
540
To maximise SCs, and if you don't mind paying more fuel fines - maybe try breaking up SYD-FRA into: SYD-MEL (QFxxx), MEL-SIN (QF9), SIN-FRA (QF5). :)

For discount economy:
SYD-FRA = 60

SYD-MEL = 10
MEL-SIN = 30
SIN-FRA = 40
T = 80

Only you can decide if the extra 20 SCs is worth it...
 

littl_flier

Active Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
906
Points
0
gaz1 said:
A codeshare train trip - amazing! Do they do this for other sectors?
I believe QF used to codeshare on the Ghan as well- I'm not sure if this is still the case or not though.

In Germany Qantas codeshare on the following:

The new codeshare allows customers to connect with Intercity-Express (ICE) rail services from Frankfurt Airport to Cologne, Duesseldorf, Hamburg, Hanover, Munich, Nuremberg and Stuttgart and complements Qantas` air services.

For full details, see Codeshare cooperative ventures
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top