SeaWolf

Established Member
Qantas
Silver
Virgin
Platinum
Star Alliance
Gold
Looks like an upgraded AmEx lounge is coming to Sydney. I haven't used it myself as I normally have lounge access to either the NZ or SQ lounges, both of which are excellent, but this might be a good alternative when it opens.

From the article:

However, since first opening in December 2014 the lounge's increasing popularity has seen it become over-crowded, especially in the mornings.

This is not surprising. AmEx have been aggressively expanding as of late, and there would be a record number of holders of cards such as the Explorer (of which I am one) that grant lounge access. Take busy periods (such as school holidays, public holidays, December/January peaks) and you can pretty much guarantee that the number of (eligible) pax wanting to access the lounge will be greater than the capacity of the lounge.
It's good that they're expanding, now to see what'll happen, if anything, to MEL's "dungeon" AmEx lounge.

From the article:

This is not surprising. AmEx have been aggressively expanding as of late, and there would be a record number of holders of cards such as the Explorer (of which I am one) that grant lounge access. Take busy periods (such as school holidays, public holidays, December/January peaks) and you can pretty much guarantee that the number of (eligible) pax wanting to access the lounge will be greater than the capacity of the lounge.
It's good that they're expanding, now to see what'll happen, if anything, to MEL's "dungeon" AmEx lounge.
Ditto on the Mel AMEX lounge. Thoroughly underwhelming.

Apart from size I had no qualms with the old one. Will check out the new one and it's now closer to the SQ gates which are 52-55 usually

i dont mind the amex melb lounge, obviously no windows and food selection is poor but everytime ive been there its been dead quiet

for free, it does the job, I get a few drinks, something to eat, and sit in the booth, and have a great time to pass the time

Has the new lounge in Sydney opened yet? Flying out this Friday and would be keen to check it out. Ausbt article said mid October time frame.

Hasn't opened yet, there's a media preview today but the public opening is expected to be this weekend, to be confirmed later today.

Opening next Wednesday, Oct 23 - adjacent to the Emirates lounge, and with a bird’s eye view of gate 58.

Attachments

• 4B32B201-DE3C-4880-A5F0-C078DE6C97A7.jpeg
    4B32B201-DE3C-4880-A5F0-C078DE6C97A7.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 18
  • EAEFD2DF-C0A0-4A50-90A9-87312ECA5C56.jpeg
    EAEFD2DF-C0A0-4A50-90A9-87312ECA5C56.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 19
Not that I am a Centurion, but it's a shame they haven't thought of porting that concept to Australia... seems to be mainly the US, and Hong Kong. I would have thought building out the ultra-premium lounge (with special Centurion-only area) and elevating the rest of the lounge would be the path to go down when expanding/improving an existing space, especially at what is probably the flagship departure point for a country/city.

Having read the review of the HKG Centurion lounge, it would certainly make me consider spending more on my AMEX for an invite... but not this lounge.

I prefer it to the Qantas Lounge when travelling J with CX. Looking forward to checking out the new lounge next time I'm flying with CX :)

We (The Tooner family) visited the old AMEX Sydney lounge at the end of September on the way to Vietnam. Apart form our entry moving the lounge from comfortable full to overcrowded (!) it was small but pleasant. We enjoyed the food and the drinks.
Sounds like the new one will be a little larger which would be good.
I may check it out on the way to the SQ Lounge in a few weeks.

Quite impressed with Amex - the new lounge just came out of nowhere!

Qantas in contrast announced that the Sydney lounge revamp would compete end of 2019 in their annual report. Well - it hasnt even got started and they have gone all quiet about it. What a joke

is casual entry (by paying $) still allowed to the new amex SYD lounge?

he has an explorer but there are 4 travelling incl him.
can he pay for 2 pax? is it still $55ish per pax?

The new AMEX lounge is an interesting mix - it's lost some of the charm of the old lounge (and most certainly the view!), but much larger and more comfortable especially in the eating area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back