Syd-bne | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Syd-bne

Status
Not open for further replies.

golby_04

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
18
I am flying SYD to BNE next week and on the SYD to BNE leg i will be on an international flight, but i will be returning later that day. Will this raise a security issue because i will not have checked in luggage? Also it is the most convenient time for me to leave aswell.

Cheers
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,266
Flights
My Map
golby_04 said:
I am flying SYD to BNE next week and on the SYD to BNE leg i will be on an international flight, but i will be returning later that day. Will this raise a security issue because i will not have checked in luggage? Also it is the most convenient time for me to leave aswell.

Cheers
Firstly, Welcome to AFF ....

No problem with security issues; you need Photo Id (e.g. Drivers Licence, Passport) and will get a bright orange sticker on your Bording Pass. Keep this through you flight and after landing as you will have to surrender the boarding pass to customs before you exit.

FWIW, many people actively seek to travel on Domestic sectors of international flights such at this; even at slightly inconvenient times. :D
 

Commuter

Active Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
793
serfty said:
FWIW, many people actively seek to travel on Domestic sectors of international flights such at this; even at slightly inconvenient times. :D
Tell me, what's the benefit? I'm considering this for BNE (Int)-CNS. Is it just the use of the international QP?
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,254
Flights
My Map
Commuter said:
Tell me, what's the benefit? I'm considering this for BNE (Int)-CNS. Is it just the use of the international QP?
Better planes, use of the Intl QP (Alcohol 24/7) are the two main reasons.

Others may also think the risk of a fine for illegally buying duty free is also a benefit :)
 

Commuter

Active Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
793
Mal said:
Better planes, use of the Intl QP (Alcohol 24/7) are the two main reasons.
Aha, thanks. Is food any better? I'll be going straight to work, so I won't be able to drink :D
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,254
Flights
My Map
Commuter said:
Aha, thanks. Is food any better? I'll be going straight to work, so I won't be able to drink :D
In BNE Intl QP, Brekkie is a bit better. Havn't been through there lunch/dinner times though.

I also like flying Int because it's a change from the domestic airport routine. The biggest downside is the additional kerfuffle required (showing license, going through customs/immigration at both ends), although being a Domestic pax you head through the "Diplomatic" type express lines anyway.

There is also a slight chance of an inquisition from a bored customs/immigration officer, but that's just par for the course for visiting any international airport :)
 

NYCguy

Established Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
1,120
Mal said:
Better planes, use of the Intl QP (Alcohol 24/7) are the two main reasons.

Others may also think the risk of a fine for illegally buying duty free is also a benefit :)

Come now, I hardly think that any of the upstanding contributors to these pages would indulge in such underhanded behaviour, would they? ;)
 

pauly7

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
4,334
NYCguy said:
Come now, I hardly think that any of the upstanding contributors to these pages would indulge in such underhanded behaviour, would they? ;)
What is the fine btw? I've done it a couple of times, trick is (if possible) is to do it when there are several O/S flights have arrived so you blend in more(bigger airports this is easier obviously)

Downtown Duty Free have never checked my BP! Couple of my friends do it every time they fly which is pushing it I would think...
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,254
Flights
My Map
pauly7 said:
What is the fine btw? I've done it a couple of times, trick is (if possible) is to do it when there are several O/S flights have arrived so you blend in more(bigger airports this is easier obviously)
I don't know for sure. I suspect that depending on the officer involved, and their level of suspicion of you and your motives (they would also look up your previous customs compliance history I'd assume) then you could have it overlooked , warned and noted on your customs record, have the items confiscated, be forced to pay the duty involved, or be charged with providing false information / duty evasion etc. May not be pretty if they suspect you're trying to defraud the government vs an innocent mistake. You could even appear on Border Security :D

Probably be even worse if they detect that you made a positive attempt to conceal the goods involved (eg destroying packaging, removing labels etc.)

Alcohol and tobacco show up clearly on the X-Ray machines. Being a domestic passenger doesn't exempt you from the chance of being X-Ray'd.

Personally, it's a risk I don't want to take. If anyone has been caught out, I would be interested in learning what happened.
 

pauly7

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
4,334
I would say it would have to be low risk, I have never been x-rayed flying on a D sticker, always impatiently waved through.

I usually just buy some cologne or perfume for the wife. If I was paranoid I could run to the toilets and bin the packaging and reciept then they couldn't easily prove that I bought it there....

Wonder if anyone has been caught, though I suspect customs have bigger fish to fry!
 

bigjobs

Active Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
783
serfty said:
Firstly, Welcome to AFF ....

No problem with security issues; you need Photo Id (e.g. Drivers Licence, Passport) and will get a bright orange sticker on your Bording Pass. Keep this through you flight and after landing as you will have to surrender the boarding pass to customs before you exit.

FWIW, many people actively seek to travel on Domestic sectors of international flights such at this; even at slightly inconvenient times. :D
What does FWIW mean?

thanks
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,254
Flights
My Map
bigjobs said:
What does FWIW mean?

thanks
FWIW - For what it's worth (unless of course Serfty has some other definition for the term :) )
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
serfty said:
you need Photo Id (e.g. Drivers Licence, Passport)
Only as long as are an Australian. Otherwise need passport - other official government photo id is not accepted :(
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
Last year I was flying SYD-BNE on an international flight while a US-based colleague was flying SYD-LAX. He offered to purchase something for me and give it to me as a gift for "looking after him" while in Sydney. Now if he has given me a gift of a bottle of something while we were land-side, I would have had no issues with carrying it home on that flight. But since we were already air-side, I declined his kind offer since I did not want the potential problems associated with arriving in BNE with a D boarding pass and carrying something that was purchased in Sydney duty-free.

So I suggested he reciprocate the "looking after" when I am next in the USA would be a safer gesture.
 

Commuter

Active Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
793
Mal said:
In BNE Intl QP, Brekkie is a bit better. Havn't been through there lunch/dinner times though.

I also like flying Int because it's a change from the domestic airport routine. The biggest downside is the additional kerfuffle required (showing license, going through customs/immigration at both ends), although being a Domestic pax you head through the "Diplomatic" type express lines anyway.

There is also a slight chance of an inquisition from a bored customs/immigration officer, but that's just par for the course for visiting any international airport :)
That doesn't sound too much of a hassle then. I might try that out. Thank you for the info!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,265
Messages
1,873,926
Members
49,119
Latest member
stucoran

Currently Active Users

Top