SYD Airport Hotel

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Chucksta, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Chucksta

Chucksta Active Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Australia
    Can someone please recommend a hotel close to the international airport in SYD?

Is there a hotel linked to the international airport? eg MEL has the Hilton Airport hotel which is fantastic!

I am arriving in SYD from PER at 10pm and leaving the next morning for NRT at 10am!

thanks

Chucksta

2. d15.in.oz

d15.in.oz Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Heaps of them near the domestic (with free shuttles) but closest to International (not connected, but walkable over the bridge) is the Accor.:)

3. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    Mecure is the old Hilton opposite the International, you also have the IBIS, Formula 1 (shudder), Stamford PLaza (old Sheraton) and Holiday Inn, all whom have shuttle buses one way free, the other way is often charged. Holiday Inn is my choice as it is near the Mascot suburban station for train transfers and is quite nice.

4. d15.in.oz

d15.in.oz Member

Nov 28, 2006
    That's the one i mean, is it branded Mercure now?

5. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Yup

Dave

6. The Sydney Airport Mercure is about the closest to T3 but unlike MEL it is a difficult walk. There is a dedicated shuttle bus (about $4) that runs from Stand 5 (AFAIK). The Mercure is a comfortable 3.5 star hotel with a bar and reasonable dining room

7. RB

RB Established Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Nth Coast NSW
    Reviving an old post, does anyone have more recent experience in staying around Syd Int? Will be overnighting in early June.

8. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    About the only change is the addition of the Quest Apartments Sydney Airport near the Domestic:

Quest Sydney Airport

9. RB

RB Established Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Nth Coast NSW
    Has anyone had experience trying the Secret Hotels on Wotif or Last Minute websites for Sydney Airport listings?

10. anat0l

anat0l Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2006
    Brisbane
    I stayed for one night (~2300h-1000h) at the Holiday Inn SYD Airport in mid-February, which is less than 5 minutes by shuttle from SYD T3.

Nice, simple room - the usual HI simplicity. At least at this HI the walls aren't as tacky or dingy looking as some other HIs (e.g. HI Darling Harbour), and the bathroom has a superb set up. I was just relieved I could find a room on the same day I was checking in which was less than $200 and near the airport and breakfast came with the deal.

Shuttle is supposed to cost $5 per ride but no one ever asked me for money. Odd.

The other hotels around SYD Airport region are Stamford Plaza, Ibis and Mercure. There are also two motels, but even though they may be basement bargain prices, I'd much rather avoid them and cough up the extra cost for a real hotel room (unless everything else proves to be gougingly prohibitive). Trip Advisor seems to have reviews that favour the HI, but YMMV.

11. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    If you are looking for more than a bed for the night I would consider the Novotel at Brighton, the lack of a shuttle is an issue but Taxis are readily available and if you are looking for a good meal, the plethora of nearby restaurants (mostly Greek) offer some very good choices.

I have never found Wotif great value for their advertised rooms, often in fact its more expensive given most chains have a best rate guarantee, however the secret deals are not bad, and its often not hard to work out the hotel, after all there is only one hotel with a pool in the area that has undercover parking, conceirge and cafe - the Stamford.

12. Flashback

Flashback Senior Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Airport also, and found it to be a reasonable hotel; very comfortable for an overnight transit.

13. codash1099

codash1099 Established Member

Aug 2, 2006
    PER
    I've used both the Mercure and the Stamford. Both are more than acceptable as one night stays (or even more). My preference these days is the Stamford - much easier to get QF points out of them. The Mercure is pretty tight fisted in that area.

14. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I have stayed at the Mecure, Novotel (BLS), Ibis and HI.

Novotel is my selection,.

15. StrikersWings

StrikersWings Junior Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Melbourne
    Without a question, Stamford Plaza. I am there every few weeks, and usually get room 1236; the best view of the airport by far. If your a keen plane spotter as I am, you'll love their approach out of nowhere from behind going onto the runway. The menu is also passable/good not like many other hotels I frequent. You can also take a nice dip in their pool.

16. RB

RB Established Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Nth Coast NSW
    Just need a place to crash after LHR-SYD flight then domestic flight early next AM.
    Finally used wotif secret airport hotel & came up with Holiday Inn. As long as the bed is fine :)

17. Flashback

Flashback Senior Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Welcome to AFF StrikersWings!

18. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    You might want to ask them to use the Wot Swimming Pool indicated in the listing, its never had one in its 20 years, apart from that is perfectly adequete for what you intend to use it for !

19. StrikersWings

StrikersWings Junior Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Melbourne
    Thanks for the welcome flashware, after reading many posts; I decided to post myself. But I seem like an ameteur compared to you guys. I am an FF, but also was a budding pilot and love everything in relation to airlines and airports and felt like this could be another home for me! :)

20. Flashback

Flashback Senior Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    That's alright, most of us started out the same! When I think back to how much I knew when I first joined ..... I laugh!