Surcharge vs points

Status
Not open for further replies.

drd71

Hi all, I've got a $6000 bill to pay but it's a 1.4% surcharge.

Are the points I'm going to get (12000 Reward Points = 6000 QFF points) with my Platinum Charge card worth it?

Only you can answer if they're worth it really. If you have a use for points then possibly. Personally I'd value 6k QFF points at roughly $60 at most. You don't say whether this bill is tax deductible. That would change the cost a bit too. Is paying by Visa/MC cheaper but a lesser earn rate? Might be worth considering too.

Also, I assume you mean Amex Platinum Charge card? That earns at 1.125 reward points per dollar, so you'll actually earn slight more points than you've calculated above.

It is tax deductible yes, and it's the AMEX Platinum Charge card. Sorry, I'm a newb to all this.

So when you say 1.125 reward points per dollar it would only be 6750 points not 12000 (so only 3375 QFF points)

It is tax deductible yes, and it's the AMEX Platinum Charge card. Sorry, I'm a newb to all this.

So when you say 1.125 reward points per dollar it would only be 6750 points not 12000 (so only 3375 QFF points)

Ooops. Sorry, I got it slightly wrong. Charge earns 2.25 Amex point which equates to 1.125 QF points. So 6750 QF points all up.

Given it's tax deductible, depending on your marginal tax bracket that sways it in favour of taking the hit...well it would for me. Is the surcharge rate lower for Visa or MasterCard?

Ooops. Sorry, I got it slightly wrong. Charge earns 2.25 Amex point which equates to 1.125 QF points. So 6750 QF points all up.

Given it's tax deductible, depending on your marginal tax bracket that sways it in favour of taking the hit...well it would for me. Is the surcharge rate lower for Visa or MasterCard?
Hey Srz man i am newbie here, so you mean for AMEX plat charge when it convert to QFF pts its half of membership pts? Is there a way explorer can convert membership pts to QFF pts as well?

I am currently using qantas ultimate and thinking of change to explorer or staying. Thanks heaps for help

Hey Srz man i am newbie here, so you mean for AMEX plat charge when it convert to QFF pts its half of membership pts? Is there a way explorer can convert membership pts to QFF pts as well?

I am currently using qantas ultimate and thinking of change to explorer or staying. Thanks heaps for help

Correct. With the charge card 2 Amex points converts to one QFF point.

Not sure at all about the Explorer card. I don't have one. You'd need to check the Amex site for that.

Correct. With the charge card 2 Amex points converts to one QFF point.

Not sure at all about the Explorer card. I don't have one. You'd need to check the Amex site for that.
Thanks mate, seems if purely focusing on QFF pts ultimate card ain't bad

I have a feeling the Ultimate card is the best for earning QFF points, but don't quote me on that.
Haha well the ads saying same, best earning potential. But yeah i reckon QF has a titanium card which is better? but yeah $1200 annual fee

There is usually a regular (biannual I think) bonus on QF transfers which improves the earn rate. Often get better value with SQ and CX even accounting for this.
Personally, I am pretty happy to pay up to a 2% surcharge over cash and 0.5% over my Coles or QF Plat MC. As above, tax deductibility can sway me too

I read a member comment once they value Amex points at 1c. i.e. 1% .
Currently I am receiving 3 bonus points on all transactions so I am happily accepting 1.43% surcharge as that equates to 4 points in total. That is 1 transaction point plus 3 bonus points. So a $6,000 bill might cost me $85.80 but I would receive 24,000 points so worthwhile imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back