Strategy to obtain US Amex

I wouldn't be surprised if some people called Amex to ask about an Amex GT program they heard about on a forum and what steps they need to take to meet the requirements. An influx from Aus would raise some eyebrows. Considered Amex not really officially supporting NRA, and how many here are using that route just to start their US journey. Imagine the chaos if they start requesting a W-9 from all their CC customers, and I am not even sure whether Amex currently accepts a W-8BEN in their system?
 
The Step-by-Step...

As someone who's been in this for a while and seen many valuable things tighten up or completely die, at an increasing rate in the last few years and especially this year, you should really consider how easy do you want to make it for the counterparties (the banks) to find, aggregate and neutralize these kinds of things. Condensing everything into one message is vastly different from it being dispersed on hundreds of pages. Also a beginner knowing just a little too much yet not enough could lead to their journey being cut short very quickly. Please consider this post again...
 
Keep in mind there are also already
reported cases of Amex declined Amex MR International Points Transfer from EU (Plat) to US (BBP)
 
Last edited:
Does anyone have issues connecting an HSBC US checking account to Amex when requesting a credit increase? Keep receiving an error message saying it's not a personal account. Also, I thought an Amex credit increase request is usually automatic after using the card for >6 months. Got asked to connect to the bank or upload a bank statement. Never requested a credit limit increase before asking for an increase from 4k to 10k
 
Last edited:
Does anyone have issues connecting an HSBC US checking account to Amex when requesting a credit increase? Keep receiving an error message saying it's not a personal account. Also, I thought an Amex credit increase request is usually automatic after using the card for >6 months. Got asked to connect to the bank or upload a bank statement. Never requested a credit limit increase before asking for an increase from 4k to 10k

No but I got an automatic CLI without asking after 7 months on an Aspire. From ~$4k to ~$9k.

Might be worth just waiting for another couple of months for one to go through automatically.
 
I had my Aspire been year
No but I got an automatic CLI without asking after 7 months on an Aspire. From ~$4k to ~$9k.

Might be worth just waiting for another couple of months for one to go through automatically.
Had my Aspire for more than a year they gave 10K initially then Surpass + Free (around 6-7 months) but both was approved with really small credit like 2k each, been using them, majority Surpass for that $15K spending and also moved credit from Aspire over. Both my P2 and I Aspire never got automatic CLI eventhough more than 1 year

Did the CLI on the Surpass when it asked for Proof of Income which I really dont wanna touch or update in case FR
 
Does anyone have issues connecting an HSBC US checking account to Amex when requesting a credit increase? Keep receiving an error message saying it's not a personal account. Also, I thought an Amex credit increase request is usually automatic after using the card for >6 months. Got asked to connect to the bank or upload a bank statement. Never requested a credit limit increase before asking for an increase from 4k to 10k
When i had my FR i think i wasn't able to connect either, had to upload statements instead.
 
When i had my FR i think i wasn't able to connect either, had to upload statements instead.
My statement is full of my ACH transfer from my own AUS Revolut to HSBC tho thats the thing worried me in proving as Income eventhough the transfer balance is sufficient in the reported income initially but the frequency and the amount is inconsistent. I tried a few time put Direct Deposit etc on Revolut reference when transfer but it never reflected on my HSBC
 
I think Amex will also want you to use the card. If they see you’re well within your limit, they’ll conclude that you don’t need extra credit. I’m assuming you want a higher limit as you’re using the card and want it to be able to accommodate more and larger purchases rather than just a limit increase for its own sake?
 
I spend around 4k each month so its around 40% 50% most of the time but not regular transaction more like paying for bill sometimes Sniip. But yeah keep seeing people mentioned they got auto approved or suggested always request CLI every 6 months so give it a try see how it goes doesn’t expected a road block. Then it ask for statement to prove income which I put initially when submit application for all my 3 cards a reasonable $7xk to not triggered any flag and would be easily to prove for myself. Just worried about triggering FR since some reported Amex will randomly do it based on sudden spending

It has been a year since Aspire and I havent or didnt dared to touch the Income section on my Amex profile 🤣
 
Last edited:
My statement is full of my ACH transfer from my own AUS Revolut to HSBC tho thats the thing worried me in proving as Income eventhough the transfer balance is sufficient in the reported income initially but the frequency and the amount is inconsistent. I tried a few time put Direct Deposit etc on Revolut reference when transfer but it never reflected on my HSBC
I or P2 had an app declined as income didn't match what was in our statements, mine was mostly transfers from Wise but i did have some US transfers.
 
I or P2 had an app declined as income didn't match what was in our statements, mine was mostly transfers from Wise but i did have some US transfers.
I believe people mentioned that it need to be consistent as well usually on weekly or fortnightly friday to kinda prove its actually income instead of 10k, 20k here and there. When you mean app as in CLI as well?. I tried to connect HSBC checking ao the system reviewed it instead manual review by bank statements
 
I believe people mentioned that it need to be consistent as well usually on weekly or fortnightly friday to kinda prove its actually income instead of 10k, 20k here and there. When you mean app as in CLI as well?. I tried to connect HSBC checking ao the system reviewed it instead manual review by bank statements
no, as in a new application for a credit card
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top