State border closures illegal under the highest law in the country? | Page 12 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

State border closures illegal under the highest law in the country?

jakeseven7

Established Member
Well the fact that the courts went against corona distancing laws means anything is up for grabs so borders should be a piece of cake :rolleyes:

DC3

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Well the fact that the courts went against corona distancing laws means anything is up for grabs so borders should be a piece of cake :rolleyes:
But nothing has got to the High Court yet, has it?

drron

Enthusiast
But as the WA and QL:D governments basically have to file their medical advice by the 26th June so we can all see it is a possibility we will see borders open from early July.
The cynic in me says it will be announced on June 25 so that Clive has done his money.

Rangalad

But as the WA and QL:D governments basically have to file their medical advice by the 26th June so we can all see it is a possibility we will see borders open from early July.
The cynic in me says it will be announced on June 25 so that Clive has done his money.
X2

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
I’d say that it’s all about Clive feeling unloved/snubbed. Poor soul.
From what I heard, when he applied for an exemption he refused to state where he was going. Other CEOs have been in and out of WA, they just have to tell police who / where they are meeting.

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
I think the issue was that the police had initially agreed to the protest, rather than around the validity of the distancing rules.

DC3

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Perhaps, but I suspect many are hoping it works in opening things up sooner.
Yes, many are, but Clive in the High Court is not because he cares about you, me or any others. ☹

DC3

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
From what I heard, when he applied for an exemption he refused to state where he was going. Other CEOs have been in and out of WA, they just have to tell police who / where they are meeting.
And there we have it.

woodborer

WA has changed from saying -not for many months- to -not until late July at the earliest-
A bit of a shift...

CityRail

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
While everyone is out protesting, and otherwise generally ignoring social distancing - I'd rather the borders stay closed!! At least until there's close to zero community transmissions, for a two week period.
NSW has almost achieved that and Victoria is starting to achieve that as well. I think by the end of the month we could be able to achieve zero community transmissions that allows us to reopen the borders in time for the winter holidays.

While everyone is out protesting, and otherwise generally ignoring social distancing - I'd rather the borders stay closed!! At least until there's close to zero community transmissions, for a two week period.
NSW has almost achieved that and Victoria is starting to achieve that as well. I think by the end of the month we could be able to achieve zero community transmissions that allows us to reopen the borders in time for the winter holidays.
Apparently today was the first day of no local transmission. All new cases were of people coming from overseas.

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
Apparently today was the first day of no local transmission. All new cases were of people coming from overseas.
Good! Let's keep that up for at least two weeks, with continued testing for those who might be asymptomatic, and then we can assess whether to start considering any intention to open the borders!!

antycbr

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
assess whether to start considering any intention to open the borders!!
I’d hope we can progress a bit quicker than assessing whether we would consider any intention...

This situation is untenable economically and may see VA liquidate as a result. The state premiers are able to close the borders and transfer the economic cost to the federal government. The states cannot be allowed to do this indefinitely.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annybank2018