SQ/TATA mulls bid for Air India (AI)

AMX001595_Travel-Insider_1100x260
Now with contactless delivery, shop online to get drinks delivered to your door or pick up in-store in 30 minutes. Lowest Liquor Price Guarantee. Biggest Range.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

OZDUCK

Established Member
Not sure if the Sin Govt would be keen on SQ using bail-out cash to invest elsewhere.
I would have thought it likely that with SQ's relationship with the Singapore Government that any such investment would have been informally approved before it was mooted.

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
Solutions
Why would anyone want to invest in Air India?

Prior to covid I would have said fleet, network (slots and landing rights), and experienced pilots (at a time when there was a potential pilot shortage, and experienced maintenance engineers.

Now? Lots of new planes sitting idle. Plenty of very good pilots. Could all be yours debt free! I suppose they might have some valuable landing slots though?

Thibault

Intern
Solutions
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
It looks like SQ wants to copy the version of 9W and EY. I thought they would have learnt this with VA?
Could be quite interesting to see how it folds out.

HS-TQE

Solutions
It looks like SQ wants to copy the version of 9W and EY. I thought they would have learnt this with VA?
Could be quite interesting to see how it folds out.
With SQ's previous 'spectular' adventures with the Air New Zealand/Ansett Australia group, Tiger Airways Australia and Virgin Australia, people would think SQ would've learnt by now.

dajop

Enthusiast
Solutions
With SQ's previous 'spectular' adventures with the Air New Zealand/Ansett Australia group, Tiger Airways Australia and Virgin Australia, people would think SQ would've learnt by now.
How much did SQ invest (i.e. lose) all up with their VA adventures? Precovid they had annual revenues of >$10b SGD/AUD and profit in the order of $300m-900m. Maybe they saw them as strategic gambles, worst case they have to write off their capital. SQ's definitely expanded their presence in the Australian market (in terms of number of services) over the 10 years of their investment. Geographically, Australia is critically important to the Changi hub. Likewise India is also important to them for eastbound services from India.