Spore vs United vs Qantas .. | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Spore vs United vs Qantas ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jskogsta

Hey .. just my subjective feeling after flying a few legs over the last month with Qantas, Singapore and United. Singapore Air has by far been the most pleasurable experience. Qantas second, but United.. OMG, that was crap. Flew MEL-SYD-LAX-IAD-LAX-SYD-MEL, and it was overcrowded, small, no VOD, crap service... there is NO way I'll do that unless I am forced to, through our corp travel agent. It brings memories of my age old times as a backpacker. I'm looking forward to my trip to India tonight with Singapore Air in comparison.

... and IMHO; Singapore Air has by far been a better experience than Qantas too; at least on the international legs.

Just had to get this one off my back. What are other peoples opinion with this?

/Jorgen

cssaus

You haven't said what class you travelled in for your comparisons, I'm presuming it was Y class.

I tend to agree with your comments but what continues to keep me loyal to UA for travel to the US is the benefits of their MP scheme which in my opinion are the most generous of the 3 airlines you named. Never once in all the years that I have been travelling to and from the USA on UA have I not been able to get an upgrade from Y to J using my MP miles.

I avoid QF like the plague and for all my travel throughout Asia and to Europe, it's strictly SQ. The benefits of SQ's extensive network far exceed those of QF which are forever shrinking with routes being switched over to Deathstar.

However, if and when SQ ever get the approval to fly from AUS to USA, then I'll be switching my allegiances to SQ without a second thought so as leverage the benefits with *A airlines.

Obviously others are going to offer different opinions but they are my views.

jskogsta

cssaus said:
You haven't said what class you travelled in for your comparisons, I'm presuming it was Y class.`
Yep. It was Y class. Standard economy.

cssaus said:
I tend to agree with your comments but what continues to keep me loyal to UA for travel to the US is the benefits of their MP scheme which in my opinion are the most generous of the 3 airlines you named. Never once in all the years that I have been travelling to and from the USA on UA have I not been able to get an upgrade from Y to J using my MP miles.
Yeah. I agree. However, I tend to acrue points to use them for family hols rather than standard upgrades. Hence, I worry more about what the standard Y class can provide as such.

On rare occasions I get upgrades though, but .. since we've switched from Quantas to Singapore/United, I can't benefit from my Qantas platinum anymore either.

cssaus said:
However, if and when SQ ever get the approval to fly from AUS to USA, then I'll be switching my allegiances to SQ without a second thought so as leverage the benefits with *A airlines.
Agree 100%. I recon if they keep cheap to affordable prices, they will blow the competition out of the sky. :p

/Jorgen

lukekowald

Thanks for your overview.

I am currently looking to book flights from MLB to SFO with either United or Qantas, and will be choosing Qantas based on your experience (and that I don't have UA frequent flyer points to use for an upgrade).

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
... and IMHO; Singapore Air has by far been a better experience than Qantas too; at least on the international legs.
I tend to agree, little things like hot towels, regular replenishing of drinks, clean toilets, and generally less "attitude" from the crew put SQ ahead of QF in Y, but there are odd occassions when QF have a really good crew and that can make a huge difference.

My biggest beef with SQ, and the main reason I don't fly them any more in Y - unless the company is paying - is that their KF miles earning fares in Y often come at hefty premiums to QF's and EK's fares - that all earn points. Even their non-points earning fares are usually somewhat more expensive than QF or EK's. That puts a real dampener on the in flight experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea9