Some advice needed.. | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Some advice needed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

96julians

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2006
Messages
19
Soon my father(almost QANTAS ff plat) me and my sister are going on a trip 1 week in hong kong and then to the uk for three weeks and i was wondering what would be the most effective way of upgrading to business (or world traveller+). should we choose a BA code share, or stay Qantas?
all advice welcome

thankyou in advance
96Julians
 

96julians

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2006
Messages
19
sorry i also forgot to ask about the deal with qantas club overseas, do they have it or can you use another airlines lounge?, also i have heard that QC members are only allowed to bring 1 person into the lounge with them, is that true?

thanxs again;)
96julians
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,122
Flights
My Map
Definitely stick with Qantas as a Qantas frequent flyer can only use QFF points to upgrade on Qantas operated flights when flying on a QF flight number.

This applies to WP's / SG's / PS's / NB's all.

Also, get your high status (SG?) father to request the upgrade with his points; as SG are only behind WP's in the upgrade queue; If he's WP be the time of the request so much the better.

Finally, book the flight (on an upgradeable fare class) and request the upgrades ASAP.
 

96julians

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2006
Messages
19
serfty said:
This applies to WP's / SG's / PS's / NB's all.
thanks for your reply serfty,

could you please tell me what all of those abbreviations mean?

thank you
96julians
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,122
Flights
My Map
If your father is SG, then 1 guest.

If WP by the time of travel (and he has his WP card) then 2 guests in QP's.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,001
96julians said:
could you please tell me what all of those abbreviations mean?
Those abbreviations are just cheeky terms for the various QF statuses.

WP = QF Platinum
SG = QF Gold
PS = QF Silver
NB = QF Bronze
 

Shano

Established Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,229
Flights
My Map
96julians said:
sorry i also forgot to ask about the deal with qantas club overseas, do they have it or can you use another airlines lounge?, also i have heard that QC members are only allowed to bring 1 person into the lounge with them, is that true?

thanxs again;)
96julians
As a Qantas Club member you have access to Qantas Club in Hong Kong and Heathrow (I believe that these are both jointly operated by BA and QF) when flying Qantas or British Airways. Each Qantas Club member can bring in 1 guest.

As a QFF SG member, you can access any OneWorld lounge (such as Cathay Pacific in Hong Kong) and can also invite 1 guest as long as you are flying on a OneWorld operated flight (for you likely to be QF, BA, CX for your upcoming trip)

There have been occassions where if travelling as a family group these 1 guest requirements have been relaxed. Would be worth a call to the Qantas Club to see if they will grant access to a family group of 3 with only one SG/QC member.
 

Tooner

Active Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2006
Messages
750
Flights
My Map
Shano said:
There have been occassions where if travelling as a family group these 1 guest requirements have been relaxed. Would be worth a call to the Qantas Club to see if they will grant access to a family group of 3 with only one SG/QC member.
In my experience in Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore: yes. In Heathrow, unlikely unless you find someone who will bend the rules a bit. The only other way would be to buy a QC membership.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Does the dame apply to a WP? Would it be worth while depending on how close to WP your father is perhaps getting to do a mileage run before the trip? So he has the status in time for the trip?
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,786
Flights
My Map
I suppose in HKG, the Gold member Father could take one child into the Qantas Club lounge as their one guest. Then leave them there and go to the CX The Wing lounge and take the other child into that lounge as their one guest. I suppose it depends on the age of the siblings. I know I would probably have preferred to be in a different lounge to my sister :p . But not overly practical for many people.

And no way to do that in LHR where the lounge is operated by BA who will stick to the published rules.
 

Tooner

Active Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2006
Messages
750
Flights
My Map
simongr said:
Does the dame apply to a WP? Would it be worth while depending on how close to WP your father is perhaps getting to do a mileage run before the trip? So he has the status in time for the trip?
I was a WP when I tried last time; same result. 3 years earlier, we were 2 adults & infant, so no problem. This time 2 adults, 1 4 year old and an infant - no dice.
 

96julians

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2006
Messages
19
thank you all for your replies,
but i yet another question...
is it possible for someone to upgrade themselves and two others from economy to business using qantas ff points? Ive read that it can be done for one person, (e.g. spouse) else where in this forum, but am not sure about two.

thanks
96julians
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,001
96julians said:
is it possible for someone to upgrade themselves and two others from economy to business using qantas ff points? Ive read that it can be done for one person, (e.g. spouse) else where in this forum, but am not sure about two.
I think it is possible as long as you have purchased upgradeable airfares, you have enough QFF points for the business class upgrades, there are enough available business class seats to upgrade and the people you are going to request a business class upgrade are eligible family members.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
80,817
Messages
1,859,475
Members
48,657
Latest member
kevincantona999
Top