So which Asian carrier is Qantas buying?!!

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by pauly7, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. pauly7

pauly7 Established Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Qantas being taken over has definitely taken the backseat with this announcement!

Any one with the inside word on who Qantas is buying into?

Interestingly they have ruled out franchising out the brand already so we won't be seeing a Qantas Asia brand...

Qantas to invest in Asian carrier

By AAP and staff writers
    January 23, 2007 03:27pm

QANTAS Airways said today that it plans to invest a double-digit million-dollar sum in an Asian carrier by the end of June.
    "We are very close to announcing a substantial investment in the region,'' Qantas chief financial officer Peter Gregg said at an aviation conference in Singapore today.

"We are in talks with a carrier and there will be an announcement in the next few weeks.

"We don't intend to license our brand, we intend to take ownership,'' he added, without naming the target carrier.

Full story:
    Qantas to invest in Asian carrier | NEWS.com.au Business

2. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Not sure "buying" is the right word. Base price of Qf is$11BN - they want to invest $11MN - big difference

3. jakeseven7

jakeseven7 Active Member

Sep 9, 2005
    #3 jakeseven7, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
    it says buying into....

how about malaysian ;) DJ wouldn't like that lol

seriously though, is it safe to rule out the star alliance airlines? and perhaps for the level of investment they are touting probably the large full service / govt carriers as well?

Maybe it is Air Asia (GULP!).... Been a bit of news about them and Jetstar Asia recently... Interesting they say 'take ownership' does that mean control? or combining with another group to do so?

Very interesting - John K should start a competition to guess the airline they are buying into!

4. Evan

Evan Established Member

Dec 26, 2006
    SIN / MEL
    What kind of a company do you buy for less than one hundred million ??? Must be small, maybe the other 51% of jetstar asia ? ;)

Evan

5. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Air Asia would be my first pick, although being based in Malaysia (and having Govt ownership?) could make that investment tricky.

Tiger would actually be higher in my list than Air Asia, but I can see big issues with Singapore Airlines in that equation.

I'm sure it will be a low cost carrier in Asia that flies numerous routes within Asia and possibly to Australia. It won't be a one route wonder or someone like Oasis. I can't see Qantas associating with an accident prone carrier either...

6. jakeseven7

jakeseven7 Active Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Well they couldn't even if they wanted to obviously with the foreign ownership laws...

JQ has just announced that they will be flying to KL 3 times weekly.... clue? or unrelated... lol I have no idea..

7. jakeseven7

jakeseven7 Active Member

Sep 9, 2005
    That certainly narrows it down in Asia ;) Cross out all the Indonesian carriers :D

8. Evan

Evan Established Member

Dec 26, 2006
    SIN / MEL
    Oh, i wasn't aware or even thinking about think like foreign ownership laws, thats a good point !

I think the KL connection is just chance, i think they see Jetstar could make money out of it and i agree, its a route with decent numbers and growing but no mainline QF service as yet.

Really got me thinking now, has to be small for the money involved, then again somebody with new lease only fleet it may be larger than we think. (If you only lease planes and down own any, or checkin facilities etc then you could be reasonably large without costing too much)

Evan

9. Altair

Altair Active Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Wellington
    #9 Altair, Jan 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
    Well last year they were talking about Adam Air to get around the Indonesian restictions on budget airlines flying into their country....
    They could re-brand the airline but I would suggest that they avoid DeathStar....

Ignore the above as I actually readn, not scanned the article....Adam Air is out.

10. Shano

Shano Established Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Today's SMH is suggesting that airline in question is Ho Chi Minh City's Pacific Airlines.

11. bravoecho1

bravoecho1 Member

Sep 10, 2004
    OOL
    The Vietnamese government has been very public about their intention to sell their 30% stake for US$50m.

Thats where my money is.

12. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    So will Qantas's ...

13. Standby

Standby Active Member

May 25, 2006
    From the Pacific Airlines web site

discounted tickets for beneficiaries of social welfare (Vietnam’s hero parents; elderly revolutionary cadres; wounded soldiers; relatives and family members of martyrs; victims of Agent Orange; senior citizens; adolescents…)

I looked everywhere and couldnt find an elderly revolutionary cadre fare anywhere;)

14. pauly7

Dec 8, 2004
    Pacific Airlines... I think I saw one of their aircraft when I was in Vietnam last... Well, any extension of the QF group is welcome - to burn points!

15. N860CR

N860CR Established Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Brisbane & Sydney
    So if Qantas were to take a large piece of BL, we could potentially expect to see "Jetstar" services operating within Vietnam which would allow the SYD-SGN JQ service to connect to a SGN-HAN BL service (JQ Codeshare) which would probably mean Qantas could end their codeshare arrangements with VN (SYD-SGN-HAN). I'm sure that's not the motive for the investment, but it would well end up happening.

Seems a little odd that Qantas would want its name on a pretty small, unknown airline with a mixed fleet of aged aircraft. Unless they plan to turn it into another Jetstar arm.

16. pauly7

Dec 8, 2004
    Well JQ fly VN routes now - I was expecting QF to end the codeshare a couple of months back actually, so will see.

Not really that odd, they want Pacifics operating certificate and as the articles allude to they have learned from Jetstar Asia that starting up a pure international airline in Asia isn't that easy with the landing right issues -> within Vietnam there is the opportunity to build a profitable domestic network to support an international expansion - and as you say link up with Jetstar Asia.

17. Shano

Shano Established Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    More articles in today's Australian that talks are underway with Pacific Airlines

Article #1

Article #2

18. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Agreement has been signed and should be finalised in the next few months.