Sniip accepting Amex at same rate as Visa/Mastercard

Daver6

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Came across an article on AFR about Sniip Home Page - Sniip which got me to take a look.

Essentially you use it to pay/schedule your bills. Fee is the credit card fee which is 1.5% for Amex, Visa and Mastercard.

I'll probably give it a try on bills where I'm already being slugged a fee for Visa and Amex is more expensive. Another use if you're willing to pay the fee is to earn points on government expenses which often don't earn points on many credit cards.

I have no affiliation or get any benefit if you use this. Just thought it might be of interest to some people who like chasing points.

There was also a card offer you could save, I got it on my Reserve – spend $50, get 1000 MR points. Pretty lame but better than nothing I suppose.

I recently used them to pay my mothers quarantine bill. I found that I’d earn 300 more points overall by using my Platinum Reserve because of the offer of a bonus 1000 points, so didn’t use the charge for once.

Process was simple, even used the scan feature that used my camera to pick up the details from the form. Can’t fault it.

Just activated my first AMEX and came across the Promo mentioned above.
As I have absolutely no experience with Sniip, I just wanted to check in if there is any catch or pretty straight forward.
It's especially tempting for bills which can't be paid with Amex.

There seems to be an AMEX promo - spend $100 get $10 back.

View attachment 237641
Interesting cos I did redeem it but the offer was different on my explorer...spend $50 or more and earn 1000 MR points...which card do you have?

Just activated my first AMEX and came across the Promo mentioned above.
As I have absolutely no experience with Sniip, I just wanted to check in if there is any catch or pretty straight forward.
It's especially tempting for bills which can't be paid with Amex.
it is straight forward to use however they charge a 1.5% surcharge which is quite high imo.

Interesting cos I did redeem it but the offer was different on my explorer...spend $50 or more and earn 1000 MR points...which card do you have?
I got the same offer with spend 100$ and receive 10$. I have the Qantas Ultimate card so I don't earn any MR points

Sniip doesn't accept Amex for DEFT payments

I noticed that too and contacted them about it. This was the response I got about two weeks ago. Hopefully this is actioned in the near future

In December, Sniip signed a direct partnership agreement with AMEX, allowing our processing fee to drop from 2.2% to 1.5%.

Previously we had used a third-party acquirer to process AMEX payments. As DEFT payments don’t allow us to see who the final bill provider is, AMEX has told us to temporarily put a hold on these payments, until we can satisfy some additional AMEX requirements. We are working on these at the moment and hope to be able to turn DEFT back on in the near future.

You are still able to use a VISA or MASTERCARD for these payments in the meantime and we will let all of our users know when DEFT is available for AMEX cards again.
If you have any questions please let me know.
Kind regards,

Hi all - I’m new to AFF Community. I just thought it was about time I make myself known.
Firstly, I want to say up front, I’m definitely no loyalty expert! Our business is payments.
Essentially, Sniip is just a really easy way to pay any bill that accepts payment through BPAY, using any brand of debit or credit card.
What is most exciting is that we recently partnered with Amex and reduced our rate to 1.5% when paying just about any bill with an Amex, via the Sniip app.
That’s basically us in a nutshell – 1.5% inc.GST for all credit card payments and full points earned!!!
Sing out if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Hi - yep we are currently working on this with Amex. It’s a regulatory issue and we believe it can be overcome. There are lots of customers who want to pay DEFT bills and we are just as keen to allow them.
Will keep you posted on our progress but hopefully not far away now!
And obviously in the meantime you can always use a Visa or MasterCard on Sniip to pay all DEFT bills ✅

Thanks for the info! Incidentally, I already have one billing company added to my "Billers". I scanned this one in at the time.

However, the app doesn't seem to want to let me manually add a second BPay biller code (one that I cannot scan). Am I missing something?

Edit: Never mind, I just answered my own question! Started typing the biller code into the search bar thing, and you've already got a bunch to select from. Thanks, most useful. Now I know how to work this thing, apologies for this now rather useless post!

Thanks for the info! Incidentally, I already have one billing company added to my "Billers". I scanned this one in at the time.

However, the app doesn't seem to want to let me manually add a second - biller code (one that I cannot scan). Am I missing something?

Edit: Never mind, I just answered my own question! Started typing the biller code into the search bar thing, and you've already got a bunch to select from. Thanks, most useful. Now I know how to work this thing, apologies for this now rather useless post!
@Catweazle there's no such thing as a useless post! What seems logical to us is not always easy to see when you haven't used the app much. But very glad it was easy enough for you to work out pretty quickly! :)

@Miss Sniip Any sign of Brisbane City Council or Queensland Urban Utilities being added as an accepted biller?
@Captain Halliday they are both actually enabled - you just have to elect the "BPAY" option when using the scanner, then scan the BPAY biller code. This is because both billers are also direct billers with Sniip and offer our QR code as alternative. Scanning the QR code simply directs your payment straight to the biller's payment gateway, which doesn't allow Amex payments. Scanning the BPAY code definitely will allow you to use an Amex for both BCC and QUU!
Please try again and let me know how you go! :)

@Captain Halliday they are both actually enabled - you just have to elect the "BPAY" option when using the scanner, then scan the BPAY biller code. This is because both billers are also direct billers with Sniip and offer our QR code as alternative. Scanning the QR code simply directs your payment straight to the biller's payment gateway, which doesn't allow Amex payments. Scanning the BPAY code definitely will allow you to use an Amex for both BCC and QUU!
I just downloaded Sniip to try and it's a keeper. I did have the same problem trying to pay Urban Utilities but I tried scanning the Bpay instead of the Qr Code and it worked; just had to enter the amount and due date. Very quick and very simple and can finally get Amex points for everything.

Last edited:
I just realised I never replied to this - sorry.

Yes, that method works.

For others using this approach I'd suggest paying at least five working days before your bill is due.

This is to allow the processing time from your Amex -> Sniip (3 days) and then Sniip -> via BPay -> utility company (2 days)

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back