Skyteam - which is best airline for points program? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Skyteam - which is best airline for points program?

adampenrith

Intern
Flights
My Map
Hi Brains Trust

Just wrestling with a dilema

We have just purchased Garuda Business Flights to Bali for May 2020.

The question is which airline is best to credit the points?

Previously we have flown Garuda a lot and accumulated great points and used them.

Since then we flew Virgin (which on a 737 did nothing for us) but they would be the perfect program to credit to if they had a decent J offering to Bali.

Then we did Garuda with an KLM add on to Singapore - and credited to Flying Blue. However their points expire in 2 years so Jan 2020 we say goodbye to what we have in out account.

the last couple of trips we have gone with SQ via SIN on points which was wonderful.

This trip is do we credit back to Flying Blue and try and deal with the 2 yr expiry , or is there a better program we can use, Maybe Garuda is better or even Lotus Miles or Delta.

We prefer Virgin domestically and long haul you are very loyal to Singapore

Just wondering if I am missing something or just need to suck up the Flying Blue 2 yr or the Garuda 3 yr expiry.

I will say Garuda are very easy to deal with ...

Bouba

Unlike e.g. SQ, Flying blue miles don't expire so long as you take a flight every two years. Not sure about the other programmes.

Enjoy!

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
You can credit Garuda flights to Etihad's FF program. Redeem on American Airlines, Virgin Australia, etc. Etihad is a reasonable program for orphan miles from various airlines. I credited Oman Air flights and redeemed a short AA domestic ticket that was selling for AUD750 one way. I had to call to redeem the award but it took about 2 minutes.

jase05

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
I credit mine to Delta. I hear plenty of poor reviews of their FFP but I joined for their status match to claim SkyTeam Elite plus and they have just remained my default FFP rather than spread my points out.

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
You can credit Garuda flights to Etihad's FF program. Redeem on American Airlines, Virgin Australia, etc. Etihad is a reasonable program for orphan miles from various airlines. I credited Oman Air flights and redeemed a short AA domestic ticket that was selling for AUD750 one way. I had to call to redeem the award but it took about 2 minutes.
Do they still have the two year hard expiry though? Unless doing a lot of flying that accrues to the Etihad program it can be difficult to get enough points for decent redemption within the expiry time.

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Do they still have the two year hard expiry though? Unless doing a lot of flying that accrues to the Etihad program it can be difficult to get enough points for decent redemption within the expiry time.
Good question. Dunno.

The redemption i got was like 12000 miles, which is pretty much exactly what I earned for the one way MNL-UK on Oman Air. I think VA awards are slightly less? So a round trip to Bali, with bonus miles, might just about get a o/w AU short haul award.

adampenrith

Intern
Flights
My Map
Well the points expire in Jan 2020 - i have discovered this from the very clunky klm flying blue website

"All your Miles are valid for life as long as you take an eligible flight on Air France, KLM, Aircalin, Kenya Airways, TAROM or other airline partners at least once every 2 years, or if you're an Elite or Elite Plus member, or if you make a purchase with an eligible co-branded credit card at least once every 2 years. These "Overall extending activities" extend the validity of all Miles 2 years from the date of the activity.
You can also extend the validity of Miles earned with all other partners (car rental partners, hotel partners, and experience partners) for 2 years by earning Miles with any of these other partners. These "Partial extending activities" with other partners will extend the validity of Miles earned with any of these other partners by 2 years from the date of the activity. Please note, "Partial extending activities" do not extend the validity of Miles earned from "Overall extending activities".

So i have changed a couple of upcoming hotel reservations to credit to flying blue, and moved a reservation from my name to my husbands - so hopefully if what i read above is true I have saved the points for another 2 years - during which time we will fly and keep things happening.

I have also requested via feedback that Flying Blue confirm my understanding is correct

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
"All your Miles are valid for life as long as you take an eligible flight .... at least once every 2 years, ..... . These flights extend the validity of all Miles 2 years from the date of the activity.
You can also extend the validity of Miles earned from non-flight activity for 2 years by earning Miles with any non flight activity. These "Partial extending activities" with other partners will extend the validity of Miles earned with any of these other partners by 2 years from the date of the activity. Please note, "Partial extending activities" do not extend the validity of Miles earned from flights.

I have also requested via feedback that Flying Blue confirm my understanding is correct
I think your understanding is incorrect. If (as you indicate above) you earnt your original miles from flights, only new flights will extend those miles. (nb: I have taken the liberty of changing the wording you wrote from "Overall extending activities .." as the credit card language is not relevant in your situation, and "partial extending activities" to "Non-flight activity")

AFF on Air Podcast

• Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaeess