Singapore airlines, Grey powder and ADL

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Dave Noble, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005

2. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Pax have been sent on their way now:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200606/s1671306.htm

"Tests on a yellow powder found at Adelaide airport's international terminal have failed to identify the substance.

Up to 400 people have been quarantined in the airport's international terminal.

Those passengers that were quarantined are now being allowed out of the airport."

Was the powder grey, white, off-white or yellow? The media can't make up their minds :D Thought it would be easy to give a colour description to a powder - obviously not.

3. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Well, off-white isn't a colour and is more , I would say, grey

and for those who speak american

off-white isn't a color and is more, I would say, gray

:)

Dave

4. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Actually, what most people refer to as off-white is not in fact grey or gray, but more a pale cream. If you have white paint and wish to make it into "off white" you would not add black (which would make grey/gray), but instead would add a touch of yellow and red.

Perhaps it was corn flour?

5. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    That would make a very light yellow or very light red

Dave

6. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I said a little yellow AND red, so with the right amounts that would make it a very light orange, which some people would actually describe as a pale cream colour. Its amazing what you learn as the son of an old-school painter who always mixed his own colours :rolleyes:.

7. bambbbam2

bambbbam2 Active Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Perth, WA
    Actually have you noticed that Australians tend go up in the lift, but come down in the elevator?

:confused:

8. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    No. Can't say I have.

9. Commuter

Commuter Active Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Maybe the powder was the sort that renders people unable to tell colours apart :p

10. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Interesting followup article today:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19601241-23349,00.html

<snip>

11. kpc

kpc Senior Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Sydney
    From what I saw on TV, it looked yellow to me...a quick sniff would have given you a quick idea as to what it was (assuming it was curry powder or saffron). Another over-reaction due to our heightened security awareness:mad:

12. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Would you be volunteering to do the sniff test? What if it was a white powder found in a envelope in the mail box of a prominent politician?

13. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    Where is border security and those chemical analysers when you need them, nifty gadgets when they work!

14. kpc

kpc Senior Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Sydney
    If it indeed was curry powder or saffron, both of which have a strong odour, one would not really need to get that close;)...you could also have got one of the airport sniffer dogs to sniff it and wait for the response (of the dog), and if the dog rolled over, I would then be a little worried.... Seriously though, if it was that potent (eg anthrax etc), being in an enclosed area in close proximity to the substance would be enough for the ill effects...

If it was white powder in the mail box of a prominent politician, I would quietly leave it there waiting for the said politician to handle it:mrgreen:

15. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I am sure I have eaten some curries that would have made a sniffer dog roll over :rolleyes: .

16. Soundguy

Soundguy Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Rudd's Banana Republic
    Just another example of the nitwit Customs people in Adelaide. You should read the passengers comments - a bunch of them were locked in a room for 6 hours with no food, water or toilets! Some had no option but to pee into plastic bottles.... :oops:

Locked in the big white box for 6 hours after a long flight and treated like this would send many people off. Don't even think about flying into Adelaide on an International flight.