Separate business expenses on personal Amex Platinum

I have a personal Amex Platinum and a Qantas Business Rewards card.

I want to consolidate onto the platinum alone to earn Amex points instead of Qantas.

Is it possible to get a separate supplementary card number with a separate statement to use for business expenses? I want to be able to link the business expense card to Xero without showing any of my personal transactions. I also want to be able to view my personal balance and transactions separately to business.

Do they have an option like this?

Does applying for an add-on card and linking that to the Xero work. That way it will have access to only transactions related to your supplementary card and not the primary one. Hope this helps.

Do you mean the additional/supplementary card feature or something else?

When I looked at that is said "You cannot apply for an Additional Card in your own name." which I thought would be a blocker.

What you're looking for is an Account Card.

Amex used to offer this, however in the past year or so they seemed to stop recognising the application form. You can try submitting a request anyway using the PDF in this thread:

When I looked at that is said "You cannot apply for an Additional Card in your own name." which I thought would be a blocker.
Sure you can. You just put your first one as General Aviation. Then your second one as G Aviation and your third one as Mr G Aviation etc.

Probably , as already suggested above either go the account card way if they still allow or apply for an add-on card with variations of your name. Hope you get a positive solution.

Thank you everyone. I've submitted the form for the "A/C" card now. If that doesn't work I might try open an additional card with a variation on my name. Then if that doesn't work I may open the Platinum Business with a discounted annual fee.

I do this with personal and business. I put all the personal expenses under my name and have a card with my wife's name on it and all biz expenses go on that card. It syncs only her spend through xero too.

For Google pay, just add her email to your wallet so you both don't need to carry for the card. Good luck

For Google pay, just add her email to your wallet so you both don't need to carry for the card. Good luck

You can add other people's cards directly to your own Google Pay also, no need to sign in to their email account.

I regularly add and remove my own cards from my wife's Google Pay - she is great at hitting minimum spend for SUBs..

With the personal Platinum Charge, I thought it was against the T&C to use this account for business transactions?

I’ve been reading a lot of stories on various Amex/Frequent Flyer Facebook groups recently of people having their accounts placed under review/cancelled, with forfeiture of all points, for using the personal charge for business txns. There also seems to be a common thread amongst these people where they’ve been relatively new Amex account holders.

However, the T&Cs do seem to state the personal charge can’t be used for purchases for other entities.

Can you point out where it says that in the T&Cs? I've seen that with personal bank issues Visa / Mastercard so don't use those for business purchases. I'm not sure about other Amex cards, but I've never heard that / found that in the terms of personal Amex Platinum. You can get a secondary A/C card to split out business spend from personal and they used to explicitly advertise that as a feature.

However, the T&Cs do seem to state the personal charge can’t be used for purchases for other entities.
NFI what T’s & C’s but from experience over many years have putting gazillions of $s of business exps on personal AMEX Plat / Cent and never a whimper from AMEX - go forth and accumulate - you know you want to 👍

Apologies, I've just re-read the T&Cs for the charge card and can't find it mentioned anywhere. Also went down the rabbit hole of digging up the Facebook references to these T&Cs but can't find those either.

In any case, I have been running business expenses through my personal charge for years, via the A/c card and supp card holders without issue.

FWIW I believe last year, I spent 2-3 months trying to an A/C card but was never able to and gave up. I submitted the form 2-3 times but no dice.

A couple of years ago I couldn't find the form / the agent on the phone said there was no form. They sent me a link to the supplementary card signup page and said to just sign up for another card under my name with "- AC" at the end. I did that, card arrived 3 days later.

A couple of years ago I couldn't find the form / the agent on the phone said there was no form. They sent me a link to the supplementary card signup page and said to just sign up for another card under my name with "- AC" at the end. I did that, card arrived 3 days later.
Well, I just asked them today if I can get an additional card in my own name, and it is a straight "No" to me.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back