Security screening of boarding passes

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by basso, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. basso

basso Active Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Is it the case that boarding passes have to be placed in the tray at the security points at airports. I have never had this happen before, but was instructed on this on a recent flight.

2. littl_flier

littl_flier Active Member

May 1, 2007
    Brisbane
    In fact, more times than not, I've been told to carry it with me for "safety" so I presume it was just the Security person providing a gentle reminder.

3. basso

basso Active Member

Sep 15, 2002
    I would not have described the 'reminder' as 'gentle'. Rude and aggressive would be a more accurate description

4. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Some security people want everything out of your hands so that you can show them you're not hiding anything in your hands.

Try going through a detector with your hands clenched and see what comment you get ;)

I rarely use the trays. 95% of the time I've placed everything into my carry-on. Helps prevent theft of my valuables if I'm stuck behind a chronic metal stasher.

Umbrellas are what annoy me (seperate screening) - and they'll recall your bag just so they can screen it seperately.

5. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I think someone having a bad day and just wanting to assert their authority.

6. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    In the USA, you must carry your boarding pass through the detector with you as the TSA agent at the side will verify it is for a flight departing from that terminal (even though this has been checked by 3 or 4 people before you get to that point).

I have never been told to put my BP through the x-ray.

7. codash1099

codash1099 Established Member

Aug 2, 2006
    PER
    I was a bit surprised when PER security was unconcerned that I had carried my phone through the metal detector. I mentioned my surprise that it hadn't shown up - they simply said that they are mostly plastic.

May be true but surely phones are a potential danger?

8. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Why is a phone carried through the metal detector any more dangerous than a phone that goes through the x-ray machine inside your carry-on luggage? If it didn't triger the metal detector then its unlikely to draw any attention from the x-ray screener either.

The thing that I would expect to trigger the detector is the phone's battery. Your phone must have a very small battery or one with little ferrous metal material.

9. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    It could have been one of those cereamic knife/gun phones that the spies use - - very tricky...

It's late and the swans are losing - give me a break..

10. Reggie

Reggie Established Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Manchester
    Lost to Eddies boys.:shock: No 4th spot tonight

11. alect

alect Member

Jun 20, 2006
    MEL
    I have had this "asked" of me once (to put my BP and passport through the Xray) - at TBIT LAX. I will never accede to such a request again (not that anything happened in that instance but it is a ridiculous and incorrect direction to a pax).

I agree - it's someone having a bad day.

12. stryker

stryker Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Never had this happen to me in the USA, and I visit there at least 10 times a year. I agree with NM that the TSA always ask that you present your BP when going through the metal detector. They are not usually interested in your passport at that stage.

Was this a while ago, pre-TSA?

13. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Hmm, wasn't in Perth by any chance? I scored a "Right, you go back and put that piece of paper in a tray for scanning", last week going through security. I would also have described the security officer as rude and aggressive. So much so, that I have lodged some feedback with Qantas about it.

14. SF&

SF& Member

Jun 28, 2006
    Adelaide
    i am surprised my razor get through in carry on

15. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    So am I :!:

16. alect

alect Member

Jun 20, 2006
    MEL
    definitely TSA - last year. And yes you're right about the SOP - clearly this guys had a stick up his a** or was just incompetent.