Road Trip South From Barcelona? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Road Trip South From Barcelona?

We haven’t driven south from Barcelona to Malaga before so wondering if anyone has any must see stopping points. So far we have booked accommodation at Barcelona, Atafulla and Valencia. We have been to Granada a few times so might not go that far inland. We like small towns, less visited places, hence Atafulla in between the two big cities. We head off straight after Christmas, via Doha ..... have found fantastic tips on this site for Doha. 😁

Suggestions welcome, thanks.

drron

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Will follow with interest as we are doing this drive at the end of October next year.We are only going as far as Javea as that is where one of our bridesmaids now lives.
At the moment have only decided on accommodation in Barcelona and Valencia.

RB

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Not exactly on the direct route (and we used public transport) but a couple of spots I would recommend that you might consider-Capileira & Canillas De Albaida. They fit your criteria of smaller & less visited. We had a great time at both spots. They are in my 2014 Trip Report (in my signature) from around post 47 onwards. There is plenty to see around both even if you are not walkers

Not exactly on the direct route (and we used public transport) but a couple of spots I would recommend that you might consider-Capileira & Canillas De Albaida. They fit your criteria of smaller & less visited. We had a great time at both spots. They are in my 2014 Trip Report (in my signature) from around post 47 onwards. There is plenty to see around both even if you are not walkers
I’ve had a look at altitude and think it might be very very cold in January. It’s much higher than Granada and we’ve been there twice in Jan in recent years....brrr! Still open to suggestions though. Nerja was a beautiful place on the coast south of Granada. It would be lovely to find somewhere else like that.
Thanks. Enjoyed your report of Spain too.

Reactions: RB

Timtammi

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
It was a long time ago but I enjoyed Elche with all its palm trees. It has a very different feel than a lot of the other spanish places we visited and an interesting history in its own right.

It was a long time ago but I enjoyed Elche with all its palm trees. It has a very different feel than a lot of the other spanish places we visited and an interesting history in its own right.
Thanks..... I’ll check it out as well. We still have 6 nights to fill from Valencia to Malaga.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaeess