Rewards Maximiser - sneaky charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFU

I applied for an AMEX Rewards Maximiser online last month, with the offer of no fees for the first year, a saving of $144. My first staement came through, with a $12 monthly membership fee added.
When questioned, the India call centre explained "Yes, we have that offer for online enrolment, but not in your case". A terse threat of payout and cancellation had me quickly transferred to Sydney call centre, the charge reversed and waived for the first year.
Sydney explained that the offer HAS officially ceased, and should have been removed from their website, but even today it's still there.
So, if you're thinking of a RM card, enrol online ASAP, watch your first bill and pull 'em up on it.
Apart from a charge of up to 3% with some retailers, the card is a great way to accrue points: 32500 points in the first six weeks (helped enormously by paying for a holiday and a car!). Points transfer to QFF has been coming through within an hour.

Just as a read this post, a add by google has AMEX rewards max for the first year free :D

I applied for one last year and they botched the fee exemption. I had to call them three months in a row to get them to reverse the $12- fee.. I believe the reversal is done manually which is how the reversal gets overlooked.

Keep a close eye on your statement.

:D

netaddict said:
Just as a read this post, a add by google has AMEX rewards max for the first year free :D

I never noticed those ads, I suppose I was subconciously filtering them out, but I notice that of the eight ads I can see on the page, three of them are for the maximizer.

Same thing happened to myself, applied online with the offer of free membership for 12 months. Got my first statement last week, $12 monthly charge. Rang them up and had no problems getting them to reverse the charge. Didn't sound like Mrs Gandhi was on the other end of the phone.

oz_mark said:
netaddict said:

I never noticed those ads, I suppose I was subconciously filtering them out, but I notice that of the eight ads I can see on the page, three of them are for the maximizer.
Have alook around the board; it is now utilising Google automatic "Contect Sensitive Advertising".

Well based on the link provided in another thread for the 3000 point bonus offer the 12 months free is still in effect..

http://www.americanexpress.com/australia/campaigns/rewardsmaximiser/morepoints/default.shtml

"Don’t get left behind by your card’s rewards program. Switch to the Rewards Maximiser Gold Credit Card from American Express® and earn 1.5 Membership Rewards™ points, which you can redeem for 1.5 frequent flyer points for every dollar you spend1. This great rate isn’t just reserved for special offers – you earn 1.5 points on every dollar, on every purchase, every day2.

The Card that lets you go places.

* EARN 1.5 POINTS FOR EVERY $1 SPENT
- earn points faster and reward yourself sooner.
* NO POINTS CAP
– there is no limit to the points you can earn.
* NO POINTS EXPIRY
– your points never expire as long as your account is current.

A world of rewards awaits you with the Card.

* NO ANNUAL CARD FEE FOR THE FIRST YEAR
– saving you $144 with automatic enrolment into the Membership Rewards Ascent program.
* RANGE OF REWARDS
– choose from flights, hotels, gifts and much more.
* UP TO 55 DAYS INTEREST FREE ON PURCHASES
– with a competitive interest rate of 17.74% p.a.3
* FLEXIBLE CREDIT LIMIT
– up to $25,000 available on application. "

Regards
Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back