Retaining Gold Status | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Retaining Gold Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandido

Newbie
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
1
Hi, i am new to this site (which is great).

Last membership year (to 31 March 06), we went rtw and earned 1000 status credits, getting us (my wife and i) QFF Gold status.

I love having it and dont want to lose it (on 31 march 2007).

I currently have 200 SCs and will get another 300 for a SYD-HK return coming up (on CX). Going out first, coming back in business (on the same day too!).

Could i convince them to keep me as SG. I read somewhere that Q comped someone who got close to let them keep WP.

This HK trip is the first of a few international trips i will be making in J and i always travel Q if i can.

I have no more travel planned till April 6. So unless i do a status mission, i am staring down the barrel of losing Gold.

Do people think it is worth asking Qantas? Am i close enough? (500 SCs).

What is the cheapest way to 'buy' 100 SCs if they refuse.

Thanks for your help.
 

Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Woolworths, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Febs

Established Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
1,671
Definitely worth asking IMO. The worst they can do is say "no". :)
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
QF generally review the FF account status around 2 months before the end of the membership year. At that point they will either renew the existing status or send a letter/email notifying you that at the present rate of earning it appears you will not renew your status and to contact them to let them know about your future travel plans. Many people who receive this "please explain" communication have been successful in having their status renewed for the following year.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,095
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
bandido said:
... I love having it and dont want to lose it (on 31 march 2007)... a SYD-HK return coming up (on CX). ...

... What is the cheapest way to 'buy' 100 SCs if they refuse. ...
If you can arrange to stay for another day or two in Asia during your HKG trip a return Finnair "Business Saver" trip HKG-BKK-HKG costs ~AUD650 and earns 120SC's.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
serfty said:
If you can arrange to stay in Asia during your HKG trip for another day or two a return Finnair "Business Saver" trip costs ~AUD650 and earns 120SC's.
IIRC the AY tag flights to/from BKK end in May, so trip is early enough to take advantage.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,095
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
IIRC the AY tag flights to/from BKK end in May, so trip is early enough to take advantage.
Yep, Mar31 Date was noted ...

Mind you, ex BKK one can do a turnaround, ex HKG it's a two day thing ... so maybe not possible for the OP ...
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
2
NM said:
QF generally review the FF account status around 2 months before the end of the membership year. At that point they will either renew the existing status or send a letter/email notifying you that at the present rate of earning it appears you will not renew your status and to contact them to let them know about your future travel plans. Many people who receive this "please explain" communication have been successful in having their status renewed for the following year.
it all works exactly how NM explained it. I have just gone through this process and have had my Gold membership extended for another year.

Briefly: I was awarded Gold for my flight activity in 2005.
Didn't fly anywhere near enough during 2006 to maintain it but have a lot of travelling to do this year including a UK trip.
Got a review email from Qantas.
Rang them up and explained my plans for this year.
Operator agreed to extend the membership for another year there and then.
Received new card in the mail.
Looking forward to making use of the lounges in Singapore and Heathrow.

Hope this is of some help. Cheers.
 

robertz

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2005
Messages
134
The Brown Hornet said:
it all works exactly how NM explained it. I have just gone through this process and have had my Gold membership extended for another year.

Briefly: I was awarded Gold for my flight activity in 2005.
Didn't fly anywhere near enough during 2006 to maintain it but have a lot of travelling to do this year including a UK trip.
Got a review email from Qantas.
Rang them up and explained my plans for this year.
Operator agreed to extend the membership for another year there and then.
Received new card in the mail.
Looking forward to making use of the lounges in Singapore and Heathrow.

Hope this is of some help. Cheers.
Just bout to go through the process myself. Quick question about the letter/phone call.

Do you have to do enough flying to actually acheive Gold in the comp-ed year??

Was thinking the letter says only your flying intensions, but just wanted to be sure before going ahead.

Thanks

Rob


Rob
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
2
Hi Robertz,

I didn't do nearly enough flying in 2006 to maintain Gold status (My anniversary is in Jan). Only earnt about 300 status points or so.

Before I rang FF I had a broad outline of the flying I intend to do this year.
I had a UK trip already booked and plan regular trips Perth to Kalgoorlie for work thorughout the year.
The operator did a quick calc and determined that I should do enough flying to make gold status during 2007 an on the weight of that agreed to extend my gold status through 2007 despite not flying enough last year.

Hope this helps, Cheers
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,295
Messages
2,079,424
Members
53,697
Latest member
shiblinoman
Top