Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Requesting an upgrade - is it better by a Gold status?

mhubert

hi

I'm about to do an upgrade request for my wife & myself SYD - NYC return. She has fewer points than me but is Gold, whereas I have many more points but am Bronze.

Any suggestions who has more likelihood of success when requesting the upgrade? I would assume the higher status, but then perhaps QF likes to burn points, where the person with more points is likely to get the upgrades.

Thanks in anticipation.

Lynda2475

Established Member
Solutions
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
Higher status more important than points balance (provided you have the required points to process the upgrade), plus Gold gets free seat selection whereas bronze doesnt.

jpp42

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
The number of points in your account is not a consideration at all. Status is absolutely how it works. There are various other things such as booking class, date of booking, etc, that come into play when they need tie-breakers for people with the same status, but number of points is not even a tie-breaker.

Are you travelling on the same booking? If so, she should request to upgrade both seats from her account, since she is Gold. If there aren't enough points in her account, simply use the family transfer feature to transfer them over to her account.

mhubert

The number of points in your account is not a consideration at all. Status is absolutely how it works. There are various other things such as booking class, date of booking, etc, that come into play when they need tie-breakers for people with the same status, but number of points is not even a tie-breaker.

Are you travelling on the same booking? If so, she should request to upgrade both seats from her account, since she is Gold. If there aren't enough points in her account, simply use the family transfer feature to transfer them over to her account.
Thanks! Yes travelling together, & I'll need to give her points.

Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

maia200

Qantas
Platinum
As said previously, transfer the points into the Gold members account. You will have a better chance of an upgrade.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodo