Referrals to different card type - does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryptarcadian

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
It looks like the Amex site only allows you to generate a referral for somebody else if it's to the same type of card that you have.

Anybody know if it possible to refer somebody to a different type, e.g. somebody has a Platinum Edge, wants to refer a friend for the Velocity Platinum card (and get the bonus points, naturally)? I realise it may be tricky for them to make it work as one earns VA points, while the other earns MR points, but they do convert 1:1...

When I tested out the referral service on my wife using Facebook - it let me refer any type of card, not just my Platinum Edge card.

I wonder why you are having the problem?
Cheers,
Renato

When I tested out the referral service on my wife using Facebook - it let me refer any type of card, not just my Platinum Edge card.

I wonder why you are having the problem?
Cheers,
Renato

Well according to the AMEX referrals page...

For you and your friend to receive a bonus, you need to select the correct Card. Only the Cards shown here are eligible to make referrals from.

So it looks like there's no bonus if you have a different card... unless somebody out there was successful earning the bonus points referring to a different card type?

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but has anything changed with Amex on this since 2015?

I too would like to refer a friend to an Amex CC that I don't own (as they want Virgin points & I have the Qantas Amex).

Is there anyway I can refer them so I get sign-up points?

I threatened to cancel my Velocity card and one of my excuses was that the current bonus points offer was not enough to encourage any of my contacts to use my referral link. I then asked them if they could generate a link for me to use as I had people who wanted a different amex card.

I was told that this could not be done and I could only use links for the type of card I held.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but has anything changed with Amex on this since 2015?

I too would like to refer a friend to an Amex CC that I don't own (as they want Virgin points & I have the Qantas Amex).

Is there anyway I can refer them so I get sign-up points?
Unfortunately not: you can only refer people to cards within the same card family.

With one of the Qantas AMEX cards, you can refer people to the Discovery, Premium and Ultimate cards (regardless of which Qantas card you hold).

You'd need a Velocity Escape or Velocity Platinum card to give referrals to the Velocity products, unfortunately.

As mentioned above, eligible card members can only refer people to cards within the same card 'family'. However, AMEX have also recently expanded some of the card families - i.e. the Explorer now allows referrals to the Platinum Edge and Platinum Charge, whereas a few months back you could only refer to the Essential.

It's also important to note that the bonus points awarded to eligible card holders are based on the tier of card held, not the product you're successfully referring. So if you hold the Explorer Card, you'll receive a flat 30,000 points per referral, whether you're referring Essential or Charge. I've written a post about this here: Watch your points soar with the American Express 'Refer a Friend' Program

Does anyone know how this change affects referral to current Amex customers?

For example last year (as an Explorer customer), I applied for the Platinum Edge via a referral link on AFF. Despite already being an Explorer customer, I got the 10,000 points bonus on my Edge, and my referee got 15,000.

Does this still work? I was hoping to refer my partner for a Platinum Edge and she already has an Explorer. The T&Cs seem to clearly state it will not work, but I believe this was also the case last year.

Does anyone know how this change affects referral to current Amex customers?

For example last year (as an Explorer customer), I applied for the Platinum Edge via a referral link on AFF. Despite already being an Explorer customer, I got the 10,000 points bonus on my Edge, and my referee got 15,000.

Does this still work? I was hoping to refer my partner for a Platinum Edge and she already has an Explorer. The T&Cs seem to clearly state it will not work, but I believe this was also the case last year.

All recent reports I’ve read here and elsewhere indicate that Amex have closed this loophole down and signon bonus points are now exactly as per the T&C’s. which is obviously a bit of a pity.

As I understand it you would still be eligible for the points on a David Jones Amex, assuming you don’t already hold a card from that family.

Good luck though if you decide to go ahead and let us know if you have success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back