Reduced AMEX earn rates from April 2019

Discussion in 'American Express Rewards' started by DavidFlynn, Nov 15, 2018.

Tags:
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. DavidFlynn

DavidFlynn Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Sydney
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    American Express to 'enhance' earning rates across its credit card scheme, to take effect from April 2019 – some transactions to earn more points per se but most cardholders will accrue fewer frequent flyer points per dollar compared to today.

AMEX’s line-up of credit cards for earning Qantas and Virgin Australia Velocity points will see a reduction of 0.25 points per $1 spent on everyday purchases. Membership Rewards Ascent Premium, Ascent and Gateway programs will adopt a flat 2:1 conversion rate for points sent across to airline frequent flyer programs

Full details at American Express overhauls credit card frequent flyer points

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 1

2. jinks485

jinks485 Junior Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Terrible news.

So the tl;dr is:
    - Qantas and Velocity cards: points earn rates will go down by 0.25 points per $1 except on government spend which stays the same
    - Membership Rewards points, a 33%-50% devaluation for most redemptions (airlines and Hilton will now be a 2:1 transfer)
    - Explorer card earn rate will remain at 2 ppd, government will increase to 1 ppd
    - Platinum card earn rate goes to 2.25 ppd everywhere except 1ppd with government (no more bonus categories)
    - Platinum Edge goes to 3 ppd at supermarkets and petrol stations, 2 ppd on foreign currency spend and 1 ppd elsewhere
    - Essential card goes to 1.25 ppd everywhere except 1 ppd with government.

No change to David Jones cards.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Eh520

Eh520 Junior Member

Nov 9, 2017
    That's some really unattractive changes that will probably put some people off. It's a huge hit to how valuable their gateway membership rewards/Ascent/Ascent premium program is

4. kpc

kpc Senior Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Sydney
    The sky is falling....really! Will need to completely rethink my credit card /points strategy after these changes incl ATO payments. RewardPay will be dead after these changes. It is 525pm in London now and hence why I'm awake, and 425am in the eastern Australian states....a lot of AFF members will wake up to a big shock!!

• Agree Agree x 9
  5. get me outta here

get me outta here Senior Member

Nov 18, 2011
    CBR Country :)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    A balancing act now btw all those merchant sign ups and card holders rationalising their held cards.

6. asterix

asterix Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Having just added a third AMEX to my wallet I was dreading the day that this would happen, but knew that it would eventually when I noticed Flight Centre were now only charging 0.92% surcharge for AMEX compared to the 2.97% they used to charge.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. LadyC

LadyC Established Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Melbourne
    Not attractive at all. They are definitely making it harder to earn those points!

8. kamchatsky

kamchatsky Established Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Somewhere in Sydney
    Wow .. Loss of words.

This is almost like a funeral ....

The prolonged Aussie exchange rate doesn't help. I thought this is gonna happen one day but still comes as a shock.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

May 4, 2016
    ACT
    Rip...the explorer/edge combo takes a 50% hit .

What other programs can transfer to krisflyer besides velocity?

10. opusman

opusman Senior Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Melbourne
    Wow, just wow.

Getting pretty hard to justify $1450 a year for the Platinum card.

• Agree Agree x 7
  11. amaroo

amaroo Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2011
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    5 months notice is something .... can make plenty of hay in that time.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. GoldCanyon340

GoldCanyon340 Established Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Adelaide
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Instagram:
    I've been an Amex cardholder for 25+ years including 10 years at Centurion. The 50% reduction in airline point conversion is the final nail in the coffin.

• Agree Agree x 12
  13. Cruiser Elite

Cruiser Elite Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2010
    Melburn
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    What am I missing with following snip relating to American Express Platinum Charge Card as listed here American Express overhauls credit card frequent flyer points

"(You’ll earn 2.25 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, equal to 1.125 frequent flyer points per $1 spent in your airline program of choice, following a 2:1 conversion.)"

14. SOPOOR

SOPOOR Established Member

Jan 12, 2009
    #14 SOPOOR, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Wow. Dont know how anyone can see any good news out of any of this.

For me, at first glance its the end.
    Tldr
    Virtually every point earning caed is now reduced by 25 -50%

Transferring to various airlines is down 50%

On face value there is now no point chasing any points any more. The only thing is the 5% wish gift for 1.5pts for groceries or sign up bonuses

But whats also hard hitting is that now there is no point paying surcharges for gift cards

With 50% off airline transfers what is now the best usage for points?

Is it flights booked throguh amex travel???

15. SOPOOR

SOPOOR Established Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Without doing proper number calcs to me now the amex is now what a visa and master card has always been , THE lower points earning card.

Now that merchanta are still getting charged higher rates, i see no point in using a amex over a visa, so i probsbly will rarely use my my amex.
    I hope amex understand why

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. andye

andye Established Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Manly
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I too think the AUD is the major driver for this.
    I currently have a portfolio of Amexes to maximise points earn but with the effectively reduced differences between cards I'll likely consolidate

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. albyd

albyd Established Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Sydney
    I had a feeling this was coming after I called Platinum line on Monday and there was an option about finding out about ‘the changes to your rewards program’. I didn’t think the cut would be 50% though. Agree with Sopoor, will be a marginal benefit to carrying an Amex now & juggling extra statements vs say Dragon Visa. That may change since they’re part of the Westpac group. And Altitude recently devalued.

Looks like fewer pointy end flights for ‘wholesale’ price and back to Y. Sad day indeed.

18. opusman

opusman Senior Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Melbourne
    Hmm no mention of changes to the Westpac Black Amex.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. foggy

foggy Active Member

May 30, 2009
    seems like the end of sitting at the pointy end..

20. ms1

ms1 Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Sydney
    So essentially I need to transfer my points out of MR before April 15th as after this date the value of the points halves.

• Agree Agree x 6