Random questions about Concorde | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Random questions about Concorde

Status
Not open for further replies.

wycx

Some random questions popped into my mind this morning reading a story about Concorde:

Was it possible to get seats on Concorde via points? If so how much more expensive was it? Did anyone here do it?

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map
I don't know the answer to this question, but I believe that a paid Concorde seat was slightly more expensive than First Class on other aircraft. So if points were able to be used, I'm guessing quite a lot would have been required.

marki

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I don't know the answer to this question, but I believe that a paid Concorde seat was slightly more expensive than First Class on other aircraft. So if points were able to be used, I'm guessing quite a lot would have been required.

Rephrase that a paid economy seat was slightly more expensive than First Class on other aircraft.

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map
Rephrase that a paid economy seat was slightly more expensive than First Class on other aircraft.
There was no economy on the Concorde, only "Concorde class" - which as I said, was priced accordingly.

marki

Established Member
AFF Supporter
There was no economy on the Concorde, only "Concorde class" - which as I said, was priced accordingly.
Concorde Class = Concorde Economy

For your perusal here: Concorde: Supersonic airliner to return to the skies

extract below:

"Due to limited seating capacity in the planes, ticket prices for regular economy seats were often around the same price as a first-class ticket in a standard airliner."

92–120 passengers
(128 in high-density layout)

If you had a 92 seat layout is it fair to say it was more first class?

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map
Indeed the seats were basically Economy standard. My point was that there was only one class, and that the seats were very expensive.

marki

Established Member
AFF Supporter
We are both on the same track on this I thinks
Agre

juddles

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
I wish I had the opportunity to fly them. Long gone and I suspect gone for a very very long time yet. It is true they were only one class, and the seats would not stack up against the most basic modest modern "J" class, but it was a goddam Concorde!!! Special :)

dcm

Intern
I had the great fortune to travel on Concorde on a genuine economy fare. In 1988, London held some sort of trade fair in Budapest and flew the officials on Concorde. The normal plane for the flight I was booked on from Budapest to London was replaced by Concorde. Great to watch it land; very graceful. I was seated next to the person who organised the flight over and he took me up to the cockpit. Pilots obviously loved the aircraft. Not supersonic over that route but a reall delight to travel on.

kelvedon

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
At one stage BA were randomly subbing Concorde into their domestic flights and using the "surprise replacement" as a marketing campaign.

CaptJCool

Established Member
The Concorde tour in New York - located on the dock by the USS Intrepid is outstanding.
i note the will Concorde ever fly again thread. My photos are similar
after the French accident the wings etc were Kevlared so the seats were thrown out - weighted too much for the extra weight to protect from the reasOn for the accident.
the reintroduction was on the morning of 9/11..... The first flight from London landed that morning at JFK.....
OVER 100 frequent flyers died in the World Trade centre proving the financial services industry is where the endless cash was at.... And that was the end of Concorde. The British / French version of the Apollo - amazing for an analogue flying jet!!!!

peakhour

Intern
The Concorde tour in New York - located on the dock by the USS Intrepid is outstanding.
Definitely! I was lucky enough to grab the last tour of the day, and was the only one to show up. So I got a one on one tour with a great guy, absolute enthusiast.

One of my favourite travel memories for sure.

JohnPhelan

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I was on a RTW F ticket, and we paid the surcharge to upgrade to Concorde for the JFK-CDG leg. The surcharge was almost as much as the rest of the RTW F ticket!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you're new to the world of frequent flyer points - or moving to a new country - it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the consider ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janmaree