Quick question re: Baggage for QFF Gold to HK | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Quick question re: Baggage for QFF Gold to HK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Febs

Established Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
1,659
Hi guys,

I have searched, but I'm getting conflicting information and the "Baggage" link under my booking on the Qantas site gives a 404 error...

I'm a Gold QFF travelling Y to HK in Sept. Apparently being gold entitles me to an extra piece of baggage on "certain" Int'l flights. Does this include HK?

I've also read that I can take 30kg of checked luggage maximum. Does that mean I could take 3 x 10kg bags (not that I would, but speaking hypothetically). If I wanted to take a largeish suitcase, and a suit bag, would that be a problem?

Carry-on would just be a backpack (unless I could take the suit bag as carry on too).

Thanks guys.

Cheers,
- Febs.
 

aus_flyer

Established Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,361
If you are just flying to HK and back, then yes only 30kg.
Can be 3 x 10kg

If the itinerary includes travel to the US (or some of the other exceptions), then you get the "piece system" where number of bags is counted (up to 32kg per bag).
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
Also note the extra baggage allowance for QF FF status is only available on QF marketed and operated flights - no codeshares and no OneWorld Partners.
 

Febs

Established Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
1,659
Good to know, thanks guys.
It's a direct QF flight to/from HK, so I'll make sure I stick within the 30kg limit.

Cheers,
- Febs.
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
824
Febs said:
Good to know, thanks guys.
It's a direct QF flight to/from HK, so I'll make sure I stick within the 30kg limit.

Cheers,
- Febs.
I was alsways told that QF have an upper limit of 25kg for Y, that is if you are between 20-25kg they will not charge. Also if you have the QP or other status levels then the extra is on top of 25kg.
I have never been charged for the extra 5kgs.
 
Last edited:

garyjohn951

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
561
I have been told a couple of times when a bit over ie 33 or 34 kg, that unofficially it is 20 +5 or 30 +5.
In fact back in March we had 4 pax travelling to NZ, 1 QGold, 2QP and a FF, and heeps of luggage and the checkin said that we would be charged once we were over 130kg between us. This of course worked out to 35,35,35,25.
We had 126 in the end. The same story out of Auckland on the way back.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
garyjohn951 said:
I have been told a couple of times when a bit over ie 33 or 34 kg, that unofficially it is 20 +5 or 30 +5.
In fact back in March we had 4 pax travelling to NZ, 1 QGold, 2QP and a FF, and heeps of luggage and the checkin said that we would be charged once we were over 130kg between us. This of course worked out to 35,35,35,25.
We had 126 in the end. The same story out of Auckland on the way back.
Many airlines are putting a hard limit on 32kg per item, due to occupational health and safety requirements for baggage handlers. I am unable to comment on the suggestion that lower limits are flexible.
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
824
NM said:
Many airlines are putting a hard limit on 32kg per item, due to occupational health and safety requirements for baggage handlers. I am unable to comment on the suggestion that lower limits are flexible.
Do not forget that the BAA will impose the 23kg per piece limit in October?
Oh and with my QP and travelling in WHY I have checked in two pieces (total within 35kg) and not been charged any extra.
 

garyjohn951

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
561
I never allow my baggage per piece to be heavier than 25kg, not because of the baggage people, but because of me, even with wheels, I'm the one lugging it in and out of carboot, etc. That trip to NZ, the number of bags didn't worry them, it was the total weight.
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
824
garyjohn951 said:
I never allow my baggage per piece to be heavier than 25kg, not because of the baggage people, but because of me, even with wheels, I'm the one lugging it in and out of carboot, etc. That trip to NZ, the number of bags didn't worry them, it was the total weight.
I agree with you. I remember when I was backing a couple of years ago. The heaviest was 23kg in the main backpack with 10kg in the front backpack and carrying the DF shopping bag in one hand and a LP book in the other. It took me 45 minutes of walking to find that hostel. But still when I was in the army I also had to carry my rifle and two belts of ammo for the M60!;)
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Altair said:
Do not forget that the BAA will impose the 23kg per piece limit in October?
Oh and with my QP and travelling in WHY I have checked in two pieces (total within 35kg) and not been charged any extra.
No no.. BA are imposing a 23Kg piece limit ( as well as moving to a piece system worldwide rather than weight on some routes and piece on others ) . The BAA are not imposing a 23Kg limit, the UK HSE limit of 32Kg will remain

Dave
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
824
Dave Noble said:
No no.. BA are imposing a 23Kg piece limit ( as well as moving to a piece system worldwide rather than weight on some routes and piece on others ) . The BAA are not imposing a 23Kg limit, the UK HSE limit of 32Kg will remain

Dave
I have been looking for the article that showed this but it I thought BAA introduced this due to Occupational Health and safety reasons. Of course I might be confused with the new carry-on size limitations....
Guardian Unlimited Travel | News | Heathrow to impose hand luggage limit
This seems to indicate that it is BAA and will impact all airlines leaving BAA's airports.
And for those who bother with airliners.net.
Airliners.net Civil Aviation: Heathrow To Impose Hand Luggage Limit
I do not know how the latest security increase will impact these plans.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Altair said:
I have been looking for the article that showed this but it I thought BAA introduced this due to Occupational Health and safety reasons. Of course I might be confused with the new carry-on size limitations....
Guardian Unlimited Travel | News | Heathrow to impose hand luggage limit
This seems to indicate that it is BAA and will impact all airlines leaving BAA's airports.
And for those who bother with airliners.net.
Airliners.net Civil Aviation: Heathrow To Impose Hand Luggage Limit
I do not know how the latest security increase will impact these plans.
Hand luggage is a separate issue again :)

UK Max checked baggage 32Kg for HSE reasons.
BA Max limit from 11 Oct is 23Kg - commercial reasons

Hand luggage dimension limits from BAA to comply with DfT requests iirc

Dave
 

aus_flyer

Established Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,361
I have been told unofficially that Qantas does not charge their Platinum FFs for excess baggage unless it is a ridiculous amount.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,406
Flights
My Map
odoherty said:
I have been told unofficially that Qantas does not charge their Platinum FFs for excess baggage unless it is a ridiculous amount.
This appears to generally be the case; than again, most WP's are experinced in travel issues and don't normally lug huge amounts around.

In fact many go to great lengths to avoid checking luggage. Quite a few, (myself included) are looking at the Ex UK carryon situation with trepidation.

One day however, one is going to check some luggage and meet an agent who "has it in for the world", so to speak, and will enforce limits and charge for excess.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,597
Messages
1,884,259
Members
49,491
Latest member
Gaphjam
Top