Question about SYD-PER-SIN-SYD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
I need to book my next trip to SIN and was considering going via PER to do a day's business there rather than do a separate PER run.

All of my travel is generally simple point to point and return, so I have no trouble booking online. However for a trip like SYD-PER-SIN-SYD it seems the QF website engine is not very helpful - the one-way flights are over-priced.

So do I have to go see my TA to book this at a reasonable price? Or is there another online engine that will do it? I'll be flying J.
 
AMX001595_Travel-Insider_1100x260

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
QF website wont allow more than the minimum transit required, dont know if you can force it into a longer transit by careful selection of preferred departure time? Probably not.

You can do stopovers on eg zuji so I presume you can also do long transits <24 hours (if thats what you want). And of course can ph QF or other TA.

Ultimately, however, it depends on the fare rules as to what's allowed. Eg in the us many fares only allow transits up to 4 hours except for forced overnights, which can make it tricky if wanting a meeting during a transit stop.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
OK, thanks Kiwi Flyer. I'll give Zuji a shot first and then try my TA.

I'm tempted to just make it a separate run on O7 and take their first flight from MEL to PER on March 14.
 
Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,448
Solutions
11
Points
3,285
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Yada Yada said:
OK, thanks Kiwi Flyer. I'll give Zuji a shot first and then try my TA.

I'm tempted to just make it a separate run on O7 and take their first flight from MEL to PER on March 14.
It's may not be specifically relevent, but when Jenny and I travelled to SIN via PER in January (Good to catch up by the way ;) ) it was booked on points.

I used the multi-trip option and was able to select an over night stopover in PER. It was automatically point priced as one trip as were in PER for less than 24 hours.

So I guess it can be done ... good luck. 8)
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
straitman said:
500 posts Yada Yada

Congratulations. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks straitman! After yesterday's flurry I need to keep my head down and do more work today. :eek:
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
serfty said:
It's may not be specifically relevent, but when Jenny and I travelled to SIN via PER in January (Good to catch up by the way ;) ) it was booked on points.

I used the multi-trip option and was able to select an over night stopover in PER. It was automatically point priced as one trip as were in PER for less than 24 hours.

So I guess it can be done ... good luck. 8)

Thanks serfty. Will see what I can arrange.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
OK, I've done a bit more investigation.

On the QF AU website, lowest price for a return PER-SIN is AUD$4,045.
On the QF SG website, lowest price for a return SIN-PER is SGD$3,303.

Big difference! :eek: Why so?

I would have to get myself to SIN for this trip so that I can use the ticket and then use the PER-SIN return on a later trip this year.

BTW, when I tried Zuji to search for domestic business class flights, O7 is now listed along with QF. :)
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,448
Solutions
11
Points
3,285
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Yada Yada said:
OK, I've done a bit more investigation.

On the QF AU website, lowest price for a return PER-SIN is AUD$4,045.
On the QF SG website, lowest price for a return SIN-PER is SGD$3,303.

Big difference! :eek: Why so? ...
There's a lot more competition out of SIN.

In Jan, mrs serfty travelled SIN-MEL on a one-way fare purchased on QF SG for AUD478 inclusive. Reverse MEL-SIN one way on QF starts from AUD997.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
I'm still working on this trip. The new plan is to take my 15 year old daughter with me during the school holidays. She will stay with friends in SIN and spend a week taking part in the national "sport". :roll: We want to fly direct out of SYD.

I will purchase a business class ticket (SYD-SIN) and want to get an award ticket for my daughter. However at this late stage I am having trouble getting her a business class seat. I can get one via HKG on CX on a few dates but then my ticket is way more expensive. Or I can get her economy one way on QF via BNE and business return direct on BA, but again this makes my ticket much more expensive.

Does anyone have any tips on how we can both travel business class both ways without my ticket being top price? Aside from postponing it?
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
Peter I am sure that someone else can offer a better solution but I will try to help anyway. Easter as you know is a bad time to expect award seats. School holidays in NSW are from April 14-30.

The best option I can see is if you depart SYD on 19th April and return 26th April as this seems to be the best starting point for direct flight and also the only business award returning, at least that I could see, in the timeframe desired. This gives gives you 5 working days (?) in SIN and a weekend. I hope you haven't come across this option and I am wasting your time.


Code:
Outbound flight 19th April SYD-SIN on BA16
Inbound flight 26th April SIN-SYD on BA15

Outbound flight economy award available
Inbound flight business class award available

*** I am only PS so as SG you should have more award seats to select.

*** Return business class airfare SYD-SIN through zuji is A$4205.58 (A$3935 base + $270.58 for taxes and surcharges), in fact most combinations of QF/BA seems to be the same price!

You could book award seat now and if a business award opens later then you can cancel the economy, less 5,000 points and book business award. While I was trying out some of these award combinations I could see availability fluctuate. Would be a good idea to act quickly. Good luck.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
Johnk - thanks for the info. I've been looking at the availability on and off over the past week and finally found business class tickets for my daughter for both flights. Availability seems to change quite often.

This is what I got:
19/04 SYD-MEL QF433 12:30 14:00
19/04 MEL-SIN QF9 15:30 21:05
26/04 SIN-SYD BA15 19:55 05:15

My paid-for ticket will cost a little more (due to routing via MEL) but at least we're flying together.

Thanks again.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
OK, new question. :D

On the QF website under "Your Bookings", the BA flight number is shown. Is there any FF or SC points earning difference from having a QF codeshare flight number?
 

tuapekastar

Established Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2005
Messages
4,453
Points
720
Yada Yada said:
OK, new question. :D

On the QF website under "Your Bookings", the BA flight number is shown. Is there any FF or SC points earning difference from having a QF codeshare flight number?

AFAIK, there should be no difference in points/SC earnings flying SIN-SYD, whether it is BA code or QF code

Cheers
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,448
Solutions
11
Points
3,285
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
tuapekastar said:
Yada Yada said:
OK, new question. :D

On the QF website under "Your Bookings", the BA flight number is shown. Is there any FF or SC points earning difference from having a QF codeshare flight number?

AFAIK, there should be no difference in points/SC earnings flying SIN-SYD, whether it is BA code or QF code

Cheers
Yep, as per the BA/QF JSA!
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
Yada Yada said:
Johnk - thanks for the info.
No problem Peter, anytime. We are all slowly learning the ropes.

Yada Yada said:
I've been looking at the availability on and off over the past week and finally found business class tickets for my daughter for both flights. Availability seems to change quite often.
I have seen it change 3 times in half an hour while I was trying to book award flight. Also depending on whether you go forward or backward through the date search the availability displayed changes as well. I would suspect some small software glitch previously undetected!

Yada Yada said:
My paid-for ticket will cost a little more (due to routing via MEL) but at least we're flying together.
That is the most important thing. The extra money is ony a minor setback. Have a good trip with your daughter.

I am in SIN on 19/04/06 arriving at 18:15 on Finnair from BKK and departing 21:50 on Finnair to BKK and on the 21/04/06 arriving at 18:15 on Finnair from BKK and departing 19:45 on QF10 to MEL. We just miss bumping into each other.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
JohnK said:
I am in SIN on 19/04/06 arriving at 18:15 on Finnair from BKK and departing 21:50 on Finnair to BKK and on the 21/04/06 arriving at 18:15 on Finnair from BKK and departing 19:45 on QF10 to MEL. We just miss bumping into each other.
I guess it depends on if you have boarded or not by the time I arrive on 19/04. Both QF and Finnair use T1 so it might be possible for a quick meet.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
Yada Yada said:
JohnK said:
I am in SIN on 19/04/06 arriving at 18:15 on Finnair from BKK and departing 21:50 on Finnair to BKK and on the 21/04/06 arriving at 18:15 on Finnair from BKK and departing 19:45 on QF10 to MEL. We just miss bumping into each other.
I guess it depends on if you have boarded or not by the time I arrive on 19/04. Both QF and Finnair use T1 so it might be possible for a quick meet.
I will only be sampling nibblies and beers in the lounge as I am flying business class on Finnair that day. I normally don't board until 21:30 so if you have landed in time we can say a quick hello in the hallowed halls of Changi airport!
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
JohnK said:
I will only be sampling nibblies and beers in the lounge as I am flying business class on Finnair that day. I normally don't board until 21:30 so if you have landed in time we can say a quick hello in the hallowed halls of Changi airport!
Sounds like a plan. I'll PM my mobile phone number to you and if we get in on time or early we can say hi. :D
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
Yada Yada said:
JohnK said:
I will only be sampling nibblies and beers in the lounge as I am flying business class on Finnair that day. I normally don't board until 21:30 so if you have landed in time we can say a quick hello in the hallowed halls of Changi airport!
Sounds like a plan. I'll PM my mobile phone number to you and if we get in on time or early we can say hi. :D
Sounds like a good plan. :D I will PM you my mobile as well.

I will keep an eye out on expected arrival of QF9 and if all looks OK I'll make sure I am nearby.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top