QFF Program reviewed: InsideFlyer Nov 2005

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by QF WP, Nov 11, 2005.

1. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    Randy Petersen's InsideFlyer's November 2005 edition has an expose of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program as it's "Inside Look" article.

An excellent summary at the beginning (puns intended :roll: ):

"Hopping mad - all is not necessarily well in the land of the Kangaroo and koala. In May, Qantas Airways instituted some major changes to its Frequent Flyer program that have members fuming"
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

whilst at the end of the article:

Plus Features

Frequent Flyer has anumber of benefits that are real plusses. The vast number of partners for earning and redemption is praiseworthy. The elite program is solid and not unduly excessive. On-line functionality is top-notch.

Minus Features

Qantas has every right to run it's program the way it chooses. Its recent changes were, according to the carrier, necessary to keep the airline and its program competitive.

Still, we wonder if such sweeping changes were necessary all at once. Raising award levels is understandable. Restricting upgrades, when the competition is so fierce, makes sense. But a 2,500 point "Assisted Award" Fee? We call foul...

It reviews (and rates out of 10) the following areas of the program:

1. Earning Ability: 7.0
    2. Award Choices: 7.0
    3. Partnerships: 9.0
    4. Elite Level: 8.0
    5. Rules and Conditions: 7.5
    6. Online Services: 7.5
    7. Service support: 8.0

Overall score: 7.71

Unfortunately, you have to be an online member to view the article on the Inside Flyer website, but I trust that this is required reading for Jenny Chamberlain and her team. I believe you can view the review for free on the Webflyer website.

I think they got off lightly and wish Randy's team had contacted some of us here...we could have given them some more information that I think they missed in their review.

2. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Its interesting to note that the member rating is only 5.9 (from 71 ratings).

3. Deeruck

Deeruck Junior Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Perhaps the negative perceptions due to the program changes have driven a much more negative view of the overall program than an outsider would have. It doesn't matter as much what the end position is, rather what changes were made to get there.

4. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    It is a pretty good review of the FF scheme, although I get the perception it isn't as thorough as it could be. Seems to a bit of an outsider's view into the scheme with some input from insiders.

I notice they're inviting comments for next month's review of three other FF schemes. Pity I missed that in last month's edition, otherwise I would have provided some comments about the Qantas scheme.

5. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    Mal, I agree - was my first issue so I feel disappointed that I hadn't joined earlier.

6. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    I think the request for input came 2 months ago. IIRC I posted this, but perhaps it was only on FT?

7. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    KiwiFlyer, I must have missed it (depends on what Forum it was posted)...