Answered - QF11/12 - "Individual seat selection isn't available for this flight." | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Answered QF11/12 - "Individual seat selection isn't available for this flight."

vandy

Intern
Does anyone know if it's possible to get the contact centre to assign a seat for you on these flights, as you can't seem to do it online anymore. I was able to do it online when I flew this same route a few years ago, so it seems they've made another "enhancement" since then.

And bonus question - has anyone been able to get an upgrade request for just the SYD-LAX flight? I don't really want an upgrade on the LAX-JFK sector...

I've been trying to get through on the phone to Qantas to ask, but each time I've called lately it says they're currently experiencing high call volumes and long wait times.

Himeno

Established Member
AFF Supporter
It's a known issue. It should only happen when you're flying on both sectors through to JFK and is due to the aircraft (and thus seat map) change at LAX.

Daver6

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Yes the contact centre and sort out the seating for you.

aussierob

It really is quite an embarrassment that Qantas' IT can't handle a flight number split across two flight segments (and two differing aircraft)
The last time I flew QF11 & QF12 SYD-JFK & return I was awarded an upgrade (purchased Business, upgrade to First) that was only effective for the A380 segments (and charged in points as such)
Can't speak for splitting the trip into two for upgrade separations - although my guess is it'd be beyond the system's capabilities

Daver6

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I've upgraded on QF12 from Y to J. There was no option to split the upgrade into just one segment (suited me as I wanted both anyway).

vandy

Intern
Ah so it's an all or nothing for the requests, but are both upgrades awarded together or do they come through separately?

Is there a chance you might get one, but not the other? (eg SYD-LAX upgraded, but not LAX-JFK as there's less J seats on that aircraft).

It sounds like both flights need to have upgrades available, and then you get awarded it together as a SYD-JFK upgrade. But that sucks if you missed out on the SYD-LAX upgrade because there wasn't availability on the later LAX-JFK flight.

I thought I saw someone say they missed out on JFK-LAX but then got LAX-SYD. But maybe that was J to F because F doesn't exist on the JFK-LAX section. Confusing!

Last edited:

mrsterryn

AFF Supporter
Been upgraded J to F on syd to New York on the syd to lax leg.

Reddevil

Been upgraded J to F on syd to New York on the syd to lax leg.
I was upgraded from Y to J across all sectors on my PER-SYD-LAX-JFK flight last year (best 60k points ever spent!), the confusing thing was the upgrade SMS from Qantas only said my upgrade on SYD-LAX was successful so I wasn’t sure if it was actually for all four legs until I called QFF to do the seat selections for the SYD-LAX and LAX-JFK after getting the SMS.

Flying Fox

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Yes what is the deal with this message?

On my international flights I can select seats at times and other times its unavailable. Seems to flick between the two and I can't work out when its available or not!

jpp42

Yes what is the deal with this message?

On my international flights I can select seats at times and other times its unavailable. Seems to flick between the two and I can't work out when its available or not!
The reason for the message was explained above in the case of QF11/12, the system cannot handle different types of planes with the same flight number.

For other international flights, do they have segments on a codeshare partner? Sometimes you can select seats on codeshare partners, sometimes you can't - it depends on several factors like the policies of that partner (whether they even allow advance seat assignment), and whether the IT systems are compatible. For example selecting seats on American Airlines shouldn't be an issue as QF and AA are closely aligned and their IT systems work together well enough.

Lynda2475

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
I flew QF12 in June, had to call to get seat allocation because of the change of aircraft. Also at check-in in JFK managed to get seat changed to an even better one, given i didnt want to call Qantas at T-80.

Flying Fox

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
The reason for the message was explained above in the case of QF11/12, the system cannot handle different types of planes with the same flight number.

For other international flights, do they have segments on a codeshare partner? Sometimes you can select seats on codeshare partners, sometimes you can't - it depends on several factors like the policies of that partner (whether they even allow advance seat assignment), and whether the IT systems are compatible. For example selecting seats on American Airlines shouldn't be an issue as QF and AA are closely aligned and their IT systems work together well enough.
My specific example was seat selection for QF44 and QF43 as well as QF9 and QF10.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt cha ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York – a feat it aims to ach ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CX913