QF to increase fuel surcharges again!

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by JohnK, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Buy those international tickets now!

2. Aircrash 1

Aircrash 1 Junior Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Why not be honest and just raise the fares?????

Because they need permission to do so.

Qantas rodgers the Australian flying public once again.

"Oh, it's not our fault, we are reducing costs, it's the world situation, we have no control, we are a useless airline'.

When will we have any competition in this country??????????????????????

3. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Why would they need permission, they are a private company

Hmm, domestically there is DJ and internationally up the eastern hemisphere there is plenty of competition.

Dave

4. Ikara

Ikara Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Adelaide
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Clearly Aircrash 1 is having a bad day. Must have been all of those earlier replies to threads filling his in-box!

5. tanewi

tanewi Intern

Nov 30, 2005
    I am just waiting for someone to say something bordering on controversial, that will end up in the popular press!

Did we ever find out who (on this board) "accused" QF of "price gouching"?

PS JohnK any trip reports posted or just easier to give you a call?

6. dajop

dajop Senior Member

Jul 1, 2002
    SIN
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Mental note to self:
    1) Not bother any more with WP
    2) DOn't worry about lifetime gold
    3) IMMEDIATELY switch all points earning to AA
    4) Start using DJ more.

7. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    From August 31st, fuel surchrage for international flights will increase as follows:

Between Aus and UK/Europe: A$185 (was $98 or $196)
    Between Aus and Mainland USA, Canada, South America, and India: A$145 (up from $98)
    Between Aus and Asia, Pacific or Honolulu: $115 (was $98)
    Between Aus and NZ: $65 (was $56)

8. Standby

Standby Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Yep its steep but somene is always going to be the first cab off the rank.
    My guess is within 2 weeks you'll find other longhaul carriers join the Queue.
    I think it naive to think otherwise
    The rights and wrongs of if the increase shud be in the fare or not is a long hairy debate. But the upshot from a paying punter is its the total cost that counts not how its made up that determines purchasing decsions.
    Now I'm not happy my weekly fuel bill has gone up 30% either >i guess I'm lucky its only a 30.00 increase a week.
    I worked out a 747 uses over 200k Litres on a SYD LAX flight. Based on current known increases that means 1 flight op costs have increased by at least $60K!!.I dont know any other business whose board wouldnt insist those prices get passed on quick smart.Flying is the same as owning a car.its a luxury item again and we've been taking it for granted over the past few year.Ultimately all airlines fares are going up (some more than others depending on their other costs and financials) The need to increase the levy
    for airlines like QF/NZ/BA etc is more pressing as they don't have the luxury of paying no corp tax or being allowed to write off their new planes in 3-4 yrs.
    The upshot is I'll either travel less or the boss will make me travel "down the back" even on the long trips to save money.:(
    Appologies for rambling but I had a few extra moments as I sit here in the QC,coldie in hand waiting to get home

9. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    The price of crude oil has doubled in two years since the introduction of fuel surcharges and the fuel bill has/will almost double in the same 2 years. Assuming that the international fuel surcharge was $15 in May 2004 and looking at new level of fuel surcharges that does not agree with the above statement of crude oil/fuel bill doubling in that time. The cheapest international fuel surcharge across the Tasman has increased by more than 300% in that time.

There is more to this fuel surcharge than just rising oil prices. It is a nice way of adjusting the bottom line to look better. I don't care if they are a private company they should not be allowed to get away with it. It is about time fuel surcharges are put to bed and any further increases are either absorbed or reflected in the adjustment of the base fare.

10. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Ouch! That's a steep increase.

Other carriers will follow through with increases as soon as possible methinks. They can't be left behind in the race to increase prices :rolleyes:

I wonder what will need to happen in the world to see fuel prices go down?

11. StevePER

StevePER Established Member

Oct 17, 2004
    PER
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    I think this is a far fairer way to apply the surcharge, even though I disagree with it. So the surcharge for many journeys (especially those not originating in SYD) has actually decreased.

I wonder if this includes the surcharge on domestic flights when connecting to international surcharges? For example, will someone flying PER-SYD-LAX pay the same surcharge as SYD-LAX? That's what the above quote implies to me.

Steve

12. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #12 serfty, Aug 18, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
    It's getting harder; I really wish Qantas would bite the bullet and include the fuel costs in the tickets. :evil:

I guess when the Fuel Surcharges were first introduced Qantas had their Hedging in Place. I Guess the benefits of this have now just about finished.

These increases are a departure from the Three Tiered International setup they had:

i.e. Tasman/HKG/<All others> levies of $56, $47(?) & $98 respectively; the new levies relate a lot more to distance; so in reality the changes are not that great.

If you tend to travel mainly to Asia, it's a 16% increase; Europe - 86%.

BTW, I reckon it's a bit glib comparing the cost for a journey on one 'flight' Oz-Eur against a journey broken with a stopover/transit in Asia! (cf. # for a two-sector journey .:rolleyes: )

13. Tiki

Tiki Member

Jul 21, 2004
    BNE
    I'm with you, Serfty! Just raise the bloody fares! It is sooooooo annoying to see stuff like BNE-BKK $599 and you don't find out about the $230 surcharges until you call. (Not real prices, just an example).

14. Soundguy

Soundguy Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Rudd's Banana Republic
    But then they couldn't hit passengers travelling on award tickets.

When is an award not an award.....? :(

15. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    I agree wholeheartedly. This stupid "surcharge" nonsense has gone too far. It assumes that oil will go back down to where is once was. If the price of oil dropped below the level it was when fares were set at their current rates, would the airlines give us a "fuel rebate" when we purchased a ticket? Of course not. It's all bollocks.

It's time they included all of these add-ons in the base fare. We all accept that the cost of operating an airline has gone up dramatically and that we have to pay more.

16. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Maybe it is time to start campaigning to your local Federal member, and/or the ACCC directly to let them know you think the government should be stepping in and legislating this.

17. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Not sure whether this is propaganda or truth but I was watching Fox news the other day and someone mentioned that if they tapped into the sand areas of Alberta it would produce as much oil as Saudi Arabia and there is enough there to last 100 years. If there any truth to this statement why isn't anything done? Oil prices would return to ~$40/barrel.

The fuel 'surcharge' has become a good excuse for increased revenue.

18. kyle

kyle Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    MEL
    Cos the US doesn't want the price of oil to go down becos of China?

19. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Not wise going into political discussions on a FF forum but they will need to make a decision on which is worse soon. Do you continue to allow countries like Iran and Venezuela to flourish with increased revenue from rising oil prices? There are known links between the 2 governments(?) and both fund terrorism....

20. AnonymousCoward

AnonymousCoward Established Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Sydney, Singapore
    Extracting oil from sand (ala Alberta) is (apparently) quite expensive, not to mention energy intensive. It's probably not economical at USD$40 barrel, though it probably is at today's prices.

Saudi Arabia has plenty of oil left - decades at current consumption. The problem isn't a shortage of oil, but investment in fields and refineries and shipping and so forth. No new refinaries have been built in the US for 25 years now - that puts a constraint on how much fuel can be produced. It takes time for new shipping to come online (and an assurance that prices won't crash back to $25/barrel). And wars in Iraq (and in the Middle East in general), not to mention commercial/political intrigues in Russia don't help.